News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My Ranchero Resurrection

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-10-27 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Rich, I'll get some  photos from a distance, so you can see the entire bottom of the car. As to the panels, yes most of these are hand made. The panel that is at the far end of the quarter panel, that is "ribbed", is a EMS piece that has been cut down to fit.

Terry, to answer your questions..........yes, the remaining welding will be done with a TIG. As to the hole you are wondering about.....I moved the gas filler from the left quarter panel, to behind the left tail light. The tail light slides in and out for access. That hole is for the new filler pipe that terminates behind the tail light. Hope that answers your questions, if not , let me know.
John

KYBlueOval

Rich, here are the photos showing the entire bottom, as well as the rear fender wells, and the inner fender pieces that have been made and are being welded in. Next is to do a lot seam sealing on the bottom and get it ready for paint. Then apply Raptor to the rear wheel wells, followed by a color coat on the entire bottom.

CobraJoe

Fantastic work John, it really looks great!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

very clean, John !
I see you eliminated the rear footwells, which totally makes sense in a Ranchero. No more bathtubs in there.

KYBlueOval

No more "BathTubs"............I really like that description and it is oh so true. FYI, I used 13ga. for those flat floors. Yes it is an odd gauge,..........my friend that sold me the Ranchero, had some and donated a couple of 4 x 4  sheets to the cause.
A real plus of having a flat rear floor area will show up when it is time to install the carpet on a flat floor.........and not in a "BathTub"

RICH MUISE

The overall pics sure help us that are not familiar with the underside of a Ranchero to understand what you're doing. Thanks, and WOW!! Everything looks first class. Keep the progress pics coming.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Hoosier Hurricane

I, too, eliminated the bath tubs.  What I found was that in using 15" wheels, a 15" spare would not fit between the upper lip and the flat floor.  I had to find a 14" wheel that would clear my disc brake calipers and a small 14" tire to fit in there.   John

RICH MUISE

I'm wondering if what I use  for a spare would fit.......a "donut" spare out of a Lincoln. 16" makes it a little closer to diameter of our tires even though it's a donut. I used them on my '57 after I changed to discs and wqas not wanting to buy wheels and tires for it yet. I can measure if anybody wants.

Jeff Norwell

One heck of a Job John.Very nice.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

KYBlueOval

Bottom has been primed with DP 50 ,2K primer, and I've begun taping the seams for the 3M Seam Sealer #05887. This is a 2K Seam Sealer and it is really slick stuff, and it can be sanded. Sets up in 15 minutes, so you have to work quickly and have a plan on what you are going to do and who is going to do it, when working on a large area. I've found that it takes two guys to do it , when sealing a large area like this bottom. One to run the gun, then both of us "pull" a modified Bondo spreader across the seam sealer to smooth it out, and then the second guy pulls the tape, before it starts to set up, as the first guy goes back to running the gun.  Three guys would work best. BTW.....you can't let the gun sit for more than four minutes with out using it, or you have to install a new nozzle. With these time limits, it keeps you hopping!
Spraying color on the bottom is not that far off!

hiball3985

That is nothing short of art work.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Be careful, John............you're getting close to "too pretty to drive".

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-03-12 08:01
Be careful, John............you're getting close to "to pretty to drive".

I was thinking the same thing last night when I saw the pics. LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Not to worry. I have two other cars that have been built with the same attention to detail and I drive both of them. I friend of mine just finished a 15 YEAR build on a '67 Mustang Fastback, to the tune of $200,000.00 Plus and it is a Driver! And my Ranchero will also be a Driver .

mustang6984

I once tried to buy a '70 Mustang Grande...all factory original less than 70k miles. This was in '01. The on time it was ever driven was to a Concurs show 70 miles away. They wouldn't sell it to me because they KNEW I would drive it more than they did. They wanted it to go to someone like them...who would not drive it except for the rare occasion it was being shown. Yea...I would have driven it...not daily to be sure...but more than 140 miles a year absolutely!
Hell...my Saleen (88) is a one only car...bought it that same year with only 21k on it. Now approaching 100k. Every time Steve Saleen sees it he looks at the odometer and gives me a thumbs up...because I DO drive it! They are meant to be driven...and enjoyed! Go for it...drive it! I told my son he may well inherit my Courier after I can no longer drive...but when he does...he will need to put a new engine in it...cause I am going to drive this one until it won't run anymore!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker