News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My Ranchero Resurrection

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-10-27 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

John, great prep work for final assembly ! that is the way to go for an outstanding finish and will make things a lot easier on assembly and final prep and door, hood and fender gaps. looking forward to see the next steps !

Frankenstein57

Very nice work on this build! Bravo

KYBlueOval

It has been awhile since updated this post. Life got in the way. So here are some recent photos. The body is still not on the frame, but will be shortly. Decided to rebuild my engine (351W),got the short block back, and the final assembly should be this week. The body will go back on the frame soon after the engine and trans are installed in the frame.

First photos shows the fuse panel, that rides out from under the passenger seat.

KYBlueOval

Next photo is the bracket for the Parking Brake Release and the Hood Release. There is an engine turned piece that goes behind the gauges and on the top of the console. The Steering column is a cut down '56/'57 T'Bird.

mustang6984

SWEET does not do it justice...but it is the only word I can come up with. Looks very well planned out and executed! And gives me ideas...assuming you don't mind theft!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Hugh, some of what you see is my doing and some of what you see is "borrowed". Help yourself. If you need an explanation on anything , just ask.
John

Ford Blue blood

John looking really good!!!  A well engineered and executed plan is coming together!  Keep on trucking along.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I was going to type pretty much word for word what Hugh said, so ditto!!!
Very impressive design and execution. I love the clean-up work on the firewall. I also love the dash panel as-is, may get too busy on ya with the engine-turned addition. I can't tell if those are mounting screws or indicator LEDs.
You probably mentioned it previously, but what's the console from?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Thanks guys, for all of the kind words. Rich, the engine turned piece is made and is a overlay, so it can be removed if it looks too busy.
The holes you see are for indicator lights........The usual, turn signals, Hi Beam, and then a red LED for Parking Brake and a blinking Red LED for the security system.
The console is from a '66 Thunderbird. It has been lengthened on the back end, lowered just under the dash, and lengthened on the sides, top to bottom. If you look closely at the console up near the dash, you can see where the top part of the console is cut and bolted back together. This was done so, the console can be removed, without removing the dash. If you look at the console photo towards the rear of the console, you'll see the rear seat ash lid ( as used in the '66 Thunderbird) is opened. Modified the ash tray to hold 3 toggle switches.
John

mustang6984

I also like your cowl drain set-up too!  :005:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

Lynn

MarkA57

John this is awesome work, getting inspired to start on Ranchero!  So much time in the details, keep posting the pic's I'm finding much help on what I am getting myself in to.
Life is short be Thankful

53 F100 Panel ( Project )
54 F100 Pickup ( Project are these things ever done )
57 F100 Pickup daily driver
57 Ranchero Custom NEW Project
69 Mustang Mach 1
2007 GT500 ( Go fast SMILE )
2008 Explorer

KYBlueOval

Quote from: MarkA57 on 2021-07-08 19:53
John this is awesome work, getting inspired to start on Ranchero!  So much time in the details, keep posting the pic's I'm finding much help on what I am getting myself in to.

You are not that far away. You are welcome to stop by and take a look any time. Street Rod Nationals are here in Louisville, the first week in August.
John

MarkA57

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2021-07-11 12:30
You are not that far away. You are welcome to stop by and take a look any time. Street Rod Nationals are here in Louisville, the first week in August.
John

John, thank you for the invite.  Unfortunately I can't make the NSRA Nat's this year.  I might be able to get up and check this out later.  So much to do in the warm weather.  Keep posting your progress
Mark
Life is short be Thankful

53 F100 Panel ( Project )
54 F100 Pickup ( Project are these things ever done )
57 F100 Pickup daily driver
57 Ranchero Custom NEW Project
69 Mustang Mach 1
2007 GT500 ( Go fast SMILE )
2008 Explorer

KYBlueOval

It has been several months since I last posted, so I thought it was time to update. The Body is now back on the frame, and the engine and transmission are installed, along with a Crown Vic aluminum drive shaft. I originally had the engine sitting too high. With the advice I got here on the Forum, I used the '64 Galaxie Motor Mounts and some shims and now the engine has what I believe is the correct amount of clearance to the tubular cross member. With the engine in place, I believe things will progress a little faster...........I'm not getting any younger!
I've included some photos of some things I've done that may be of interest to someone in the building process.
The photo of the interior roof of the car shows a "Black Blanket". The blanket is actually a 1/4' thick Black Carbon Fiber Welding Blanket, glued to the Dynamat type material on the roof. It should (I hope!) stop the heat transfer. It's installed on the firewall as well, and in time will cover the floor.
The installation of the Heat and Air system used up a lot of the glove box space, but it did leave just a little space, and with a Ranchero space is at a premium. My other cars have a master on/off switch that isolates the battery from the car wiring, and I wanted the same thing on this car, along with a Mega Fuse. So that is what you see in the limited space in the glove box. The solenoid, via a toggle switch, will isolate the battery or connect it to the electrical system. The wire from the starter to the fuse panel goes through the Mega Fuse, and the fuseable link was removed. The glass barrel fuse holder protects the wire coming from the battery to the toggle switch. The holder below it, with out the ears, will hold a spare fuse. The small piece of cardboard is the size of the stand alone computer I need to operate the transmission. I'll be getting that soon.
Having lost the use of the dash glove box, the aluminum box you see was made and will function as a glove box that slides out from under the seat. I needed a new piece above the steering column as the original piece was a poor fit on the '56 "T'Bird column.
Good grounds are essential as we all know, and the grounding strip from a household fuse panel does a great job of grounding. The photo I posted is on the passenger side,( Yes, I'll straighten up the wiring and make it look neat later) there is another on the driver's side (same location) and one more (so far) in the console, all of which wire back to the ground on the motor. BTW, you can't weld that grounding strip, it must be bolted in place.
Still have some wiring to do, but the wiring I've done is held in place by a product called a "Mag Daddy". You can get them in different sizes, either as a Zip Tie anchor or as "Loop". The price in the photos is not the price for one. I believe you get 6 per box, but I could be wrong on the count. The 16 pound pull is impressive!
That pretty much brings things up to date. A slow process, but I'm getting there.
John