News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Fairlane Rear Shocks

Started by JimNolan, 2018-10-31 08:38

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

I really wanted to redo all the welds on my convertible frame during restoration.  A 1st day welding student could do a better job, there isn't a decent weld on the whole frame. But alas then the car wouldn't be correct.  Just waiting for the rear upper shock mounts to break off.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

SkylinerRon

I've used the coil spring assisted shocks on several vehicles over the years
and they work well in firming up the suspension, especially the front. They don't seem the raise the vehicle
very much, maybe an inch at most.
I recommend Gabriel over Monroe.
Goodluck,
Ron.

JimNolan

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2018-11-06 00:20
I've used the coil spring assisted shocks on several vehicles over the years
and they work well in firming up the suspension, especially the front. They don't seem the raise the vehicle
very much, maybe an inch at most.
I recommend Gabriel over Monroe.
Goodluck,
Ron.
Ron, buddy, I've never seen coil spring shocks for the front. Who makes them. Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Contibob

I wonder if location has something to do with how well things hold up. Like the shock mounts that are being talked about. Out here in California I have never had any problems with welds popping loose. while I don't off road in any of my cars or overload them I also don't baby them and have never had any trouble. A couple of them have the overload shocks on the rear and no problems to mention.

SkylinerRon

Jim,
Gabriel and Monroe both make them.
Just bought a pair from Rock Auto.
Have ordered them from Pep Boys before too.

Ron.

57AGIN

Jeff:

I couldn't agree with you more, on my 57 built in Southern California on Terminal Island, all of my major frame welds; the motor mount X-member, transmission X-member and upper rear shock X-member were blow throughs from the factory.  Before I put the 351W in I had the car towed to a welding shop and had all of them redone.  They were probably OK for the original      6 cyl that my car was built with, but with over 475 hp to the rear wheels now I don't think they would have been strong enough. Anyway, I'm glad I had that done.

Bob
57 AGIN