News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Low/No Option Cars

Started by troublemaker427, 2018-10-31 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

troublemaker427

I really enjoy low to no optioned cars of all makes.  I especially like the Business Sedans and Customs.  I was wondering how many folks have cars like this here on the forum and if anyone has a '57 Ford with 0 factory options either restored or in original condition.

Thanks
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

Lou

Zero option cars were not practical here in Connecticut, you had to have a heater/defroster in the winter. Most of the 57 I saw as a kid including my fathers 63B had the following options ::: radio, heater, tutone paint, V8, auto trans. A local dealer offered a new 57 Ford custom 2 door for $2000.00 bare bones, not one sold that way, All buyers sprung for a radio and heater, he sold a lot of 57 customs.   

Swank

My fairlane town sedan is a radio and heater delete (complete with firewall and dash delete plates), no assisted steering or brakes, no air, no seatbelts, no windshield washer sprayers, no side view mirrors...    not sure what else was an option, but it dont have much.  It does have the 2tone paint, v8, and fordomatic though.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

DanTudor57

My tudor was minimally equipted... Had delete plates, no radio, no clock nor heater. Single color. 312 w/3 on the tree. When it came to my family, someone had added a sears and roebuck  AM radio (two nasty holes in the delete plate) and an aftermarket heater (another ugly hole in that delete plate).

I like it this way.

rmk57

Quote from: Swank on 2018-10-31 21:02
My fairlane town sedan is a radio and heater delete (complete with firewall and dash delete plates), no assisted steering or brakes, no air, no seatbelts, no windshield washer sprayers, no side view mirrors...    not sure what else was an option, but it dont have much.  It does have the 2tone paint, v8, and fordomatic though.

The right side sun visor was optional. Guy at a car show I spoke with had the cap that covers the holes up, Iv'e never seen another one.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Swank

Mine is looking to be pretty fancy then,  it does have the right side visor and a clock.   
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

troublemaker427

Quote from: rmk57 on 2018-11-01 09:26
The right side sun visor was optional. Guy at a car show I spoke with had the cap that covers the holes up, Iv'e never seen another one.
I took three of these visor delete trim pieces out of cars in a junkyard last winter.  I took them from two '57 Rancheros and one '58 Custom.  I couldn't believe it when I found one let alone three!!!  One of them is in my '57 Custom now.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

lalessi1

I am not sure but I believe the right sun visor was not included with certain models. I know my 70A has the right visor but my 70D does not. I have the build sheet for the 70A there is no place to add the right sun visor.  The same is true for armrests, a Custom didn't have them but a Custom 300 did. These cars did not come with heaters, radios, or clocks; these items were specially order so "delete plates" were standard equipment.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I had one. Looks like the corner for the passenger sun visor, just just plain, without the "pocket" for the sunvisor rod.
BTW, my Custom left the factory, as near as I can tell, with just the radio option. Manual everything, one visor, one color, dealer installed heater. 6 cyl std. shift. I've made a few changes.
I'm curious if you oem restoration guys consider dealer installed options to be original.
I never did find a build sheet for mine.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ragtop

had a ranchero with the rear bed trim was even painted same as body   no clock or radio had dealer add on heater 1 visor had 6 stick about as plain as it gets just sold it around 2 years ago it was never re painted  no side trim

Hoosier Hurricane

In 1957 a local dealer offered "1957 Ford for $1957".  My dad bought one, a 2 door Custom, 6 cylinder stick shift, heater and two tone paint.  He put a Sears radio in it.  He worked in the office at Borg Warner, and they put an overdrive in it for him.  It would go faster in straight drive than in overdrive.  They didn't change the rear gear from the 3.70.  As a 17 year old, I hated that car.  Wish I had it now.   John

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2018-11-02 07:09
In 1957 a local dealer offered "1957 Ford for $1957". .  As a 17 year old, I hated that car.  Wish I had it now.   John

John
    Isn't it funny how people  change their minds about cars.   I remember when 57s first came out and people didn't like the customs.   They were the first cars to get junked, even for small problems.  After they became kinda scarce, people started to like them.  I especially remember how most people hated those delete plates.  Now they are sought after. Jay
Jay 

lalessi1

Now that I think about it is possible that the right visor was added to my car (as were the arm rests) I think whoever had the car before the guy I got it from had a donor car, I have several pieces on my car that were originally green, the original color was white.

I was not a fan of Customs "back in the day" either.
Lynn

hiball3985

I'm guessing the right sun visor was standard on the 300, because I doubt my dad would have paid for one. We were blessed just to get a radio and heater.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

troublemaker427

Did '57s come standard with a lighter?
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code