News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

fuel sending unit

Started by 62galxe, 2018-11-18 15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

62galxe

Can anyone get me a picture of a wagon fuel sending unit. Thanks

djfordmanjack

left is og from my Country Sedan. float was cracked. right is aftermarket from my Del Rio which worked. put the aftermarket nylon float on the og sending unit. hope this helps.

RICH MUISE

I'll bring this up again since we're talking sending units. Don't throw your old one away if the mounting flange is still good. I had a repop sending unit that was cheaply built, not sure where I got it, I think with a gauge set. I elected to buy a much better made one from Tanks Inc. Problem was the flange on theirs' wouldn't work with my tank, so I pirated the old flange off the original. Might have been a little welding involved, I don't remember. Anyhow, having an old style flange made me able to adapt the Tanks Inc. I also can't remember what was different about the the Tanks inc. flange.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

that is true Rich. I keep most of those old damaged parts, just for comparison or reusing them later as you stated. Much quicker than having to fabricate from scratch.

hiball3985

I've replaced a few floats in my old Fords that leaked but I have never seen one so beat up ?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

I have no idea what happened to that, Jim. it's the way it came out of the tank. the tank itself is nice inside, but has been mangled from below by a fork lift (usually a shipping accident by careless workers). glad that I was able to use the plastic replacement.

62galxe

Thanks for the piks. Just moved and trying to sort things out. Looks like the sending unit I found is for my 62 galaxie. guess ill keep looking.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-11-19 09:06
I have no idea what happened to that, Jim. it's the way it came out of the tank. the tank itself is nice inside, but has been mangled from below by a fork lift (usually a shipping accident by careless workers). glad that I was able to use the plastic replacement.
What plastic replacement, are you talking about the tank? I wasn't aware there was one for the wagon/ranchero.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I assumed he's talking about the sending unit's float
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

The float in my Bronco went kaput so rather than order just a float, pay for shipping and then spend a half a day going to pick a $ 6.00 float I used a small plastic pill bottle as a temporary substitute. I know it's kind of mickey mouse but the gas gauge still works and it's going on it's second year now.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Quote from: rmk57 on 2018-11-19 20:30
The float in my Bronco went kaput so rather than order just a float, pay for shipping and then spend a half a day going to pick a $ 6.00 float I used a small plastic pill bottle as a temporary substitute. I know it's kind of mickey mouse but the gas gauge still works and it's going on it's second year now.

I don't think that's mickey mouse.  I think using something you have on hand for something different than it's originaly intended purpose is a good idea. Done it quite a few times & it's the reason that I keep so much 'junk' around.

Ford Blue blood

Back in the day a cork bobber or a cork wine stopper did a magnificent job.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

those are perfect ideas of fixing a problem that is often found with old sending units. love the plastic pill bottle idea.
Yes I was referring to the plastic float only. I still use the old og steel tank which is really nice inside. tried to hammer out the dent as much as I could access it from the sending unit hole.

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2018-11-21 07:28
Back in the day a cork bobber or a cork wine stopper did a magnificent job.
My friend just cleaned out the plugged up tank on his 58 Plymouth, he said the cork float was original..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

I tried one of the half plastic half brass floats, think Steward Warner made them. It lasted a week  :005: I think the ethanol ate up the adhesive that held the two halves together.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang