News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1958 to 1957 Windshield Wipers

Started by troublemaker427, 2018-11-22 09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

troublemaker427

Is the 1958 windshield wiper assembly/linkage a direct bolt in to a 1957?  I would like to rid my car of the pulley cable set up.

Thanks
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

suede57ford

The arms bolts right on, but the mounting pad under the dash must be created to hold a motor.  If you can cut the pad off the '58 cowl then you can use the Newport electric motor easily.    On one I did in the past, I used a wiper motor off a rear mini van gate, as it goes back and forth and made my own pad and used some 5/16' bolts to support the motor under the dash and the shaft went into the cowl.  I had to bolt a piece of strap to use as an arm to the motor shaft.  It took a little testing to figure out the length so the wipers would travel the right amount.   Seems that those late model rear gate wiper motors are insulated in rubber grommets so they are not grounded.  I only hooked up one speed, but it worked fine.

Using the cowl base off a '58 with the Newport aftermarket '58 Ford motor would be easier thank what I did and have a self parking feature as well.  You would need to have the dash out to get room to add the '58 cowl plate.  I would fit it where it bolts bolts on followed by panel bond so it would seal and bond a the same time with no welding or sparks inside the car.

The other issue to consider is the '57 steel defroster duct  needs modified to since now there is a wiper motor under the middle of the dash. Finding a usable '58 style is difficult as they were cardboard and often didn't survive.  Rich and some other members have posted photos of their modified defroster ducts.

I like to use the Newport switch so it comes through the stock hole.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Ditto what Pat said. Not a easy or quick conversion, and probably not something you'd want to attempt unless your car is in the disassembled project stage.
An easier approach seems to be the way Gasman826/Gary and kyblueoval/John recently posted. I think that was in KYBlueoval's build thread, not sure.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe