News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Quickest way to remove Dashboard

Started by Swank, 2019-01-11 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

Afternoon,
What, if any, is the quickest, simplest, least intrustive way to get the dash out?

If possible, id like not to take the column or pedal assembly out of the car.  I've got "delete" everything.  Gauges and a clock is the only thing in here.

I can get it out given time and enough disassembly,  just looking for the shotgun method (without breaking something).

What can i leave, ... what has to come apart to pull this thing?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

gasman826

I've found it is easier to remove the dash rather than work under it.  I just removed the one from the wagon.  You can leave the clock, ash tray, glove box, heater controls, and the pedal support and pedals.  Remove both fresh air vents.  The column is in the way...not impossible but in the way.  Raunch Wagon has a '64 Galaxie column and I needed to replace the gearbox seal so just unplug the wires and get it out of the way and safe from damage.  Remove the ignition and headlight switch.  The old, brittle wire harness is the most difficult.  There are few connectors to disconnect so all the instrument cluster lights must be popped out and disconnect the voltage regulator.  Since there is no stopping place, might be a good time to replace that nasty old wind lace!

Marc

X2 what Gasman said. Column & pedals can stay. If you plan to rewire it's even easier since you can just cut the old stuff. Much easier with 2 guys as well.

Ford Blue blood

There really is no quick and dirty way.  In reality (taking apart 3 57s and an Edsel) I find the easiest way is to reverse the factory install.  I found that pulling all the wires back into the interior, disconnecting the cables from the vents, heater, temp control and working on the dash on saw horses is the easiest.  A lot of room can be made around the steering column by taking off the wheel and turn signal lever and removing two of the three bolts hold the box to the frame.  This will allow the column to drop a little without having to take out the floor seals.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Swank

Ok, i have the vents out, the 1/2 bolts underneath on each side, all the little ones by the window under the trim, the little side screws, the brake, hood pull and steering column brackets loose.....    this thing still feels like its welded in there.   Am i missing a connection somewhere, ...or does this thing just need a little hammer pursuasion?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

Not sure what you meant by "brake".......there is a bolt or two on the pedal assembly to the firewall if I remember correctly.. That said, yep, it's been there for 60 years, probably gonna need a little nudging to get it to leave home.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Swank

Whew!   Yep, no other reason, it was happy where it was at, completely resisant to change.  (I was talking bout the emergency brake braket)     Hope going back in is just as fun.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

fdlrc

Same interior colors as mine. Check it out on member rides, I'm FDLRC.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

ROKuberski

So, how big a hammer did you need to get this out of the car?

Under the dash is absolutely my least favorite place to be.  Only  4 bolts hold in the front seat, so, out it comes if I have anything significant to do under the dash.

Rich

Swank

I think it was paint welded together.  Got scared to hit it with even the rubber deadblow, so multiple pryings with the biggest straight slot i had finally broke it loose from the firewall.  Yeah, wouldnt have happened with the front seat in.

Does anyone know how/if the chrome bezels that hold the ignition/air vents/headlight knobs/cigarette lighter, etc, separate from the dash?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Tom S

Quote from: Swank on 2019-01-28 19:51
Does anyone know how/if the chrome bezels that hold the ignition/air vents/headlight knobs/cigarette lighter, etc, separate from the dash?
Yes. They do when you remove the ignition/air vents/headlight knobs/cigarette lighter, etc bezels  from them.

lalessi1

A little clarification on what Tom said...the bezels are two pieces, the face and the anodized backing plate. They "sandwich" the dash opening and are held together by the cables and switches. I can take pics if you need, I have spares.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2019-01-29 07:55
A little clarification on what Tom said...the bezels are two pieces, the face and the anodized backing plate. They "sandwich" the dash opening and are held together by the cables and switches. I can take pics if you need, I have spares.
Yup. I was in a hurry at the time or I'd have taken these pix.

Tom S

Swank, in case you don't already know ...
To remove the light switch stem push down on this button on top of of the light switch.  Then you can unscrew the bezel & pull the switch out.

Swank

Thats great.  Just what i needed, much appreciated.  Thanks for the tip on the light switch too, was wondering about that one.  It's dropping into the 30/40's next few days, so perfect time to mess with the dash indoors.  That's kinda cold for here, Lynn might vouch for that.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)