News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Will a 460 fit ????

Started by rob .h, 2019-02-09 01:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

If one wanted to go that new school way, seems like it would be cheaper to buy a donor vehicle from the damaged auto auction yards.That's how I got my drivetrain. '95 Lincoln Mark VIII with 52k miles, hit in the back. 1700. total including fees and trailer rental. Got my engine, tranny, computer, cooling fan, gearshift, and driveshaft. Sold the remainder for 400., so a net of 1300. The conversion wiring harness for it was about 1100, if I remember, from Ron Francis. Mustang GT motor mounts made it a bolt-in by just adding 2 slots to the OEM mounting plates.
Not mentioned, 59 Meteor, was exhaust. I have no idea if the 5.0 Coyote is near as wide as a 4.6, I would think not, but the exaust manifolds for a 4.6 dohc from a Lincoln, can be fitted with OEM manifolds from a 98 up Mustang Cobra. I have no idea what it would take to exhaust the Coyote within '57 boundaries. As mentioned, front sump from a Lincoln Continental.
My point is, it seems like a bunch more doable $ wise going with a 4.6 dohc over a Coyote. You just won't have the performance. Lincoln 4.6 dohc with Cobra exhaust manifolds = about 300 hp. No way I could have afforded the Coyote on my build.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I rode along with my son when he went to pickup his MARS engine.  At first, I thought it was a little expensive but the prices vary with popularity, transmission option, and mileage.  It was pretty impressive that everything your engine needs to run in your project vehicle is included.  Bolted on the skid was not only the engine but included radiator, fan, mounts, air cleaner, fuel pump, keys, and gas pedal.  The wire harness was trimmed to only the necessary circuits and labels for the wires which interface into your project.  The ECU is reprogrammed to eliminate emissions, remove security issues, transmission type, rear gear ratio, tire size and more to customize for your project.  Lifetime reprograming was included.  I walked up to my sons engine, turned the key and let it warm up before final payment and loading it on the trailer.  With all the features and support, MARS or a MARS like vendor would be high on my list if I were doing a late model engine swap.

gasman826

A GT Mustang Coyote engine and a pickup Coyote engine are both Coyote but a huge difference in performance and demand.

Ford Blue blood

Gary, thanks for that input.  I had talked to them but never closed the deal due to "life" getting in the way.  It is a bit of invaluable information and has sealed the deal for me when everything gets back to "normal"!  First hand knowledge is so much more valuable to establish the trust factor.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

RICH MUISE

COOL!!! What is your son putting his into?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826