News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Windlace retainer removal?

Started by rar1947, 2019-02-15 13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

rar1947

Anyone know how to remove the windlace retainers above the doors? I've embarked on the snowballing task to replace my windlace and headliner on my 58. These retainers have a couple screws per section but these retainers seem to be pressed in and I?m unfamiliar with them.

Swank

Yes.   Just pulled all mine last week.    Get a fairly grippy pair of pliers and twist 90 degrees.   They are little wing looking things and should slid out when sideways.   Mine were pretty tight.  Also they do not actually hold the windlace, just the toothy strip for the headliner.  Theres a box type of clip under the toothy strip that holds the windlace.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

rar1947

Fantastic!! Thanks for the quick reply. I guess my break is already over!

rar1947

Thanks again. Got them out already and see what you mean about the clips holding the windlace and that strip for the headliner.

Swank

Glad i could be a contributer.   Ive been a consumer on this site for forever it seems.   Planning on trying to get the windlace back in this weekend unless something gets sideways.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

rar1947

I will be watching for updates on the install. Where  did you get your windlace from?  And headliner if you are doing that too.

59meteor

I have not installed them yet, but I recently bought my headliner and windlace from SMS Auto Fabric in Oregon.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Swank

I got the windlace from Macs.  Havent gotten the headliner yet.  I was tipped off, from this site, that new windlace doesnt have the wire,  and they were correct. So im going with Gasman826's method of 5/8x5/8 PVC trim as a tackstrip. 

Rar1947, your headliner remnants look like my original liner,  if it is/was, are you planning on replacing with the same, and were you able to find this pattern somewhere?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

rar1947

Yes, my old headliner looked much like yours, stains and all. I have not located a similar pattern and still researching vendors. I will have to look into the pvc tack strip method. 

59meteor

Not sure if its the same for 57s, but on my 59 64F base model (Ford Custom 300 2dr sedan/Meteor Niagara 300), my original headliner is gray cloth fabric, but the fancier models had a off white vinyl headliner with small black "dots" that look like holes, but are not actual holes. At first I considered going to the more upscale vinyl headliner, but decided to stay with the cloth version. SMS offers both styles for 59s, so it would not suprise me if they also carried both versions for a 57. Funny thing is, my 2 old  57 Ford Sedan Deliverys were at least as "bare bones" as a Custom sedan, but they both have vinyl headliners. Has anybody ever seen a 57 wagon or Sedan Delivery with a cloth headliner? What material is a 57 Ranchero  made from?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

Swank

Minor update on the windlace, since ive been slack in starting a proper build thread.   Gasmans pvc tack strip deal worked great.  I just put them inbetween the original clips, used the air body saw to cut them flush, stapled right up.  I did not put tack strips down the wheel wells so i twisted some wire (20-24ga?) and re-enforced the seam of the lace. So far so good, ...if i dont knock it all out putting the rest of the junk back in.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Swank

take two...
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

Very nice job Eugene ! Liking how you painted the door openings and floor. looking great. I think SMS has the correct headliner material. their samples are spot on to the remnants I found in car. it is something like a woven bast material, not at all cloth or vinyl. ( at least for the wagons) it looks similar to the upper headiner pic.

RICH MUISE

looks......swanky!       very nice.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe