News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

REALLY REALLY bad day today.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-03-05 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I know how you feel. After changing the Y two times and the trans, rear end, I'm still recovering two years later  :005: The road trips do help  :002:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-04-04 17:10
Now if you still lived in Massachusetts   :003:

Rich....That makes two of us.  The good thing would be that you would be able to understand us when we talk.  That would be another plus for you 
Jay

RICH MUISE

Decided I wasn't going to let my frustration get the best of me. Went back at it Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning the engine was out of the car. The replacement engine is being delivered tomorrow, but I've got a week or two work before I'm ready for it. That doesn't mean I've gotten stupid though. I don't have the facilities(or strength) to reinstall because of the tranny, so when I get to that point, hopefully my friend at the speed shop will have some open time. Some things are just too much easier with a lift and the right equiptment.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Might have just found my silver lining.............My idling issue I've had since day one and egr  related engine codes.........I just found out the egr valve was not seated on the throttle body, was on there kinda cocked with a 1/16 or better gap on one side. Couldn't see it when the engine was in the car.

Thor

Rich,
Haven't been on here for a bit. Glad to see you found the engine you wanted. Nice that your finding and fixing some of the issues you were having. Once your done with it this time you should be able to keep it on the road for quite a while. You'll be running around Texas in no time!
Thor     

RICH MUISE

Thanks Thor....I really appreciated the help and offers you gave me. Hope I made the right decision.
My second replacement engine from Engine World arrived yesterday, and got it over to the house today. Looks good, no issues.

I've got to give huge kuddos to Parts Market, the broker for the first engine I got. Even though their sales info specifically states return shipping is at the buyers expense, they not only are not charging me for return shipping, they are refunding the original shipping charges as well!..........a full refund. They obviously agreed with me that the salvage yard pulled an out and out scam. She had actually just put in the refund before I called. Said it normally takes 5 days.

djfordmanjack

hiball3985

Awesome! You will be back on the road soon.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

update.......a little progress in getting the replacement engine ready to install. Tons of time spent cleaning due to the layer of crud over all the outside of the engine. This was due I'm sure to Engine World's attempt at "cleaning". Their cleaning fluids/solvents are in dire need of a change.
I had some parts powder coated, replacing all the sensors with new that I hadn't replaced before, new starter (broke an ear off the old one), new water pump and power steering pump on order. Everything else had already been replaced not too long ago.
Had to pull the intake manifold off the replacement engine. There are two sensors under the intake, along with a coolant pipe. Whoever pulled the engine cut the wires off on the engine side of the connector. Turns out it may have been intentional, as I found a broken sensor when I got into it. At first I was wondering why someone was into that area anyway, but I noticed the rubber connecting hose on the coolant pipe was new and had non-factory hose clamps. While I had it apart, I spent a bunch of time cleaning the intake logs/butterfly valves that control 8 of the 16 intake runners, and checked out the vacuum dashpots that open/close those valves to insure they were functioning properly (they were). That's was another area of concern with the idling issues I was having. The rest of the 'stuff' that control the intake runners can be checked and accessed easily from the top now that I've finally figured out how all that stuff works.
Pics: new engine sitting on pallet, old one is on engine stand.

Ford Blue blood

Sure is pretty! 

Like the looks of that cement floor, did my street rod on the ground back in the day (I was young and bullet proof then).  Doubt I could do it today!  I know you have to be happy with the new place!  Working on a hard surface with little worry of things moving around that you don't to move is great!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Looks awesome, shouldn't be long now. You must be excited at the thought of having that idle issue potentially sorted out.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks Bill. By themselves, I really liked the color of silver the valve covers were powder coated with, but it kinda clashes with the air intake now. Not sure what can be done with the intake because of the intricate design. I've sure got my fingers crossed on this engine.........it should be good, with the compression tests and all, but I'm not 100% sure this is in reality a low miles engine as 'guaranteed'. I keep seeing little things like the mentioned coolant hose replaced under the intake, some torn areas on the covering/coating on the fuel log, etc. I'm really anxious to see what the oil pan looks like when I get to it later this week.
Yeah, concrete floors are wonderful. This wouldn't even have been doable in my old dirt floor shelter where the car was built. Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it.........sure could have been a bigger headache.
Gotta get away from it for a few days. My daily driver Outback is in need of new front bearing hubs and a power steering pump rebuild................and my yard needs some attention.

hiball3985

Engine looks good, it won't be long and you will be back on the road   :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I'm at least a month away. After I get the engine ready, I want to do some work on the steering and a few other things before the engine goes back in. I'm not sure if I'm going to even attempt the reinstall if my friend at the speed shop has some open time. I just checked the weather, rain coming in today and tomorrow, so my Outback will have to wait a few more days.