News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

REALLY REALLY bad day today.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-03-05 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Sorry, was away for a day. I guess my last posts weren't too clear.
Hood pins, agreed, they never would have worn if they were steel. Steel replacements are on order. I was just surprised, or had forgotten, they were aluminum.

When I said "I had pulled the yoke off my driveshaft and installed it there a while back", I was saying I had installed it into the back of the tranny to keep fluid from leaking. Tranny was never drained, btw, just a lot of leakage.

My new water pump has been installed, I was just saying if I removed the serpentine belt, it would be inactive.

What I'm thinking is no different than an engine set up on a test stand. My only purpose for this is to make sure I have an engine that will stay in the car. I'm not looking at this point to see how well it runs, or checking gages other than oil pressure. I'm only looking  knocking or blowing smoke, or other major issues that may require the motor to come back out. If this was a known motor, I wouldn't even be considering it. It would be totally unneeded for a known motor, as was the case with my first engine. Probably 30 seconds is all I need. I probably misled when I used the term "test run" If I run it with the serpentine belt, power steering pump will become a time/expense issue. A/C shouldn't be an issue as long as the system is not activated.
I'm more than a few days to get everything totally assembled, 2-3 weeks or more  for me. My steering is totally undone as is my brake/hydroboost, rack, tie rods, e brake, etc etc.
The car is on jackstands, and with no driveshaft, it's not going anyplace.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2019-05-23 07:10
Rich I have to agree with Guenter.
Me too. It's not worth the risk of overlooking some minor little thing & finding yourself right back where you started on this.
Sure, it's a lot more work & time but I think it would be better to have a fully warmed up engine in order to check the things you want & need to check.
Even if it didn't have all the electronic controls that your engine has running a cold engine for 30 seconds or slightly longer wouldn't cut it for me.

djfordmanjack

Rich, I see you have lots of things figured out for your initial test run, but I am still concerned.That engine has been parked for some time and there is no way that you can tell smoke or blow by in 30 seconds. if there has been some oil seapage on valves or slightly sticky rings or whatever you would need a real warm up run to burn that off and out. Let's trust the salvage business and see how everything comes to life with everything properly working and hooked up.

RICH MUISE

OK, just an update, but first.....no, I haven't tried to start it, lol.
Wiring is done. PS lines are hooked up and reservoir filled. Exhaust is in, tranny dipstick problem is resolved. radiator is in, but I'm waiting on a new ss flexible radiator hose. All the vacuum lines and switches are in. The one I had has pin holes! I had put about a quart of coolant in to test the lower hose for leaks, and it had them. I'm down to about 15 things on my checklist, hopefully today I'll get a few more checked off.
I've got my target date set. I want it to be done a week or two before the July 4th show in Santa Fe. I'll need a front end alignment and I want to get the tranny serviced. I also need to do a lot of local driving before I head on a long roadtrip.

hiball3985

OK, I'm a complete dummy on these newer engines but is there a way you can crank the engine a few times to built oil pressure and get lube circulating to the bearings and valve train without actually starting it. Back in the old days we called it windmilling and always did it to engines that had been setting for a long period of time.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I had intended to just not supply power to the fuel pump while I cranked it prior to actually firing it up. Besides, I assume they put in a temporary oil last month when they did the compression test. Also, I did put Engine Slick on the cam lobes when I had the valve covers off. Of course I couldn't get to the cam bearings, but every bit helps.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-05-31 13:09
I had intended to just not supply power to the fuel pump while I cranked it prior to actually firing it up. Besides, I assume they put in a temporary oil last month when they did the compression test. Also, I did put Engine Slick on the cam lobes when I had the valve covers off. Of course I couldn't get to the cam bearings, but every bit helps.
I don't like to assume, it always seems to bite me when I do :003: Good luck and hope all goes well.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Transmission service is just dropping the pan and changing the filter.  Pull the drain plug out of the converter and let it drain.  You will do a better job than most of the quick lube places.

RICH MUISE

I did that 26k miles ago. Lately I've been getting an occasional hard shift, so I thought I'd have my transmission guy look at it.

RICH MUISE

Got the engine started Friday. Sounded pretty good. It started after only about 5 seconds of cranking after I turned the fuel pump on. It is smoking some, which I expected with all the mystery oil I used on it. Idles really smooth so far. Oil pressure went right to 75, which is where my old engine always was cold. I was bleeding the steering/hydroboost when I developed a leak, so had to stop. The hydroboost was fine before, but I had a little mishap last week that caused the problem, so I'm hoping just a seal replacement will fix that. After I get the hydroboost repaired or replaced, I can reinstall the brake lines/master.
No oil, or water leaks. Didn't have it running long enough to check the check engine light. Took a lot of stress off me hearing the engine!. :burnout:

Wirenut

Congrats, hoping it all goes well!!

John Palmer

I'm sure many of us on your posse, have been waiting for this good news.

hiball3985

Great news, there will be asphalt under those tires soon.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Happy, happy days!  Outstanding news!  So glad it all came together, always worry that things like what happened to you causes a project to go south and sit.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

From the first week in March, when you lost the engine until now is pretty good in my books, and that includes hunting down an engine and sending one back also.

Well done.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429