Question to Californian members. old dealership California Motors, Glendale?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2019-03-16 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

I recently purchased this nice og 55-6-7 Ford chassis parts catalog from Oregon. There is an old dealership stamp on the cover which has been wiped off and remains are very blurry. would be interested if anyone out there remembers a dealership possibly called:

California Motors
Brand Blvd ??
Glen(??)dale, CALIF.

the stamp is very hard to read, almost impossible. I could also be totally wrong with my interpretation. could also be Palmdale or else.
adress could also ready HYLAND BOLR HWY ??

what do you guys think ?

John Palmer

Brand Blvd., in Glendale, CA. has been known as the mile of cars forever.  Lots of auto dealers are on that street.  I was not living here during the mid fifty's so don't know who the Ford dealer was at the time.

John

djfordmanjack

thanx for the input, John. I did look up Brand Blvd in north LA/Glendale and there are still many car dealerships there, even a huge Ford/Lincoln dealership. too bad the street number isn't legible at all on the catalog stamp.

RICH MUISE

I'll check the Hamb..........gotta be the worlds best auto trivia resource. With what you guys figured out, I'll bet they'll not only have a name, but maybe even a picture.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I lived in Glendale from 1959 to 1970 and used that dealer for parts, that name doesn't ring a bell and I just can't remember the name right now. :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

From the Hamb..........Galpin Motors possibly. They established themselves in San Fernando in 1946, but that's about 20 miles away. They opened a second location in '58, but I couldn't find an address for that.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/50s-glendale-trivia-question.1143304/#post-12999729

rmk57

There was a Ford dealer named Brand Ford, they weren't in Glendale though, closer to downtown LA. Brand Ford was responsible for getting Don Prudhomme into a SOHC dragster back in the later 60's.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

If no one comes up with the answer by Monday I should be able to find out from the guys at morning coffee.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

lots of great info already, thx guys! now I am even more interested what we can find out !

hiball3985

If it is Glendale, there is a Glendale in almost every state  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Good point Jim made, do we know it was California's Glendale? But then Brand Blvd is a unique name I would think...never saw it before.
The Hamb guys who lived in Glendale back in the day say the Ford dealer was Los Feliz Ford (now Star Ford). others have said Galpin Motors is not close to the Brand blvd Glendale area.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-03-17 16:52
Good point Jim made, do we know it was California's Glendale? But then Brand Blvd is a unique name I would think...never saw it before.
The Hamb guys who lived in Glendale back in the day say the Ford dealer was Los Feliz Ford (now Star Ford). others have said Galpin Motors is not close to the Brand blvd Glendale area.
Rich, the best I remember it was some other name before Los Feliz, It was at the corner of Brand and Los Felis Blvd. Correct. Galpin isn't even close to Glendale. Not remembering I feel dumber then a box of rocks..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

I am very positive that last word in lower line is 'CALIF.' It reads quite clearly. city reads ???NDALE.
Although it is hardly visible in the scan, I do believe that Company name on top indeed states CALIFORNIA MOTORS.

I looked through the book, because I have found that most of these old og manuals are also stamped somewhere inside, but no luck here.

hiball3985

"Brand Boulevard of Cars had its beginnings in 1915, when Jesse E. Smith opened a Ford dealership", thats the only other Ford dealer my old friends remember. I think it lasted until the 60's. It was at a different location then Los Feliz Ford. So I have no idea what California Motors was..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

.????ndale.......any Ford dealers in Irwindale from back in the day?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429