News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

390/super t-10 z-bar exhaust problems

Started by progoat, 2019-04-09 12:39

Previous topic - Next topic

progoat

I have a 57 fairlane 500 and the manifolds I had on it cracked. I have bought several sets of headers including shorty's and my z-bar will no longer work. I put a cable clutch in but it's not what I want. I can not quick shift and when the motor torques up it disengages the clutch. My dad trashed the old manifolds so I do not know what # they were. This was his first car and he is no longer with us. I have a Borg Warner super t-10 trans and really don't want to take it apart and re-spline it to Chevy to use a hydraulic TOB. Would rather just put manifolds back on it. I have a set of super cobra jet heads on it and 3 deuce set up so I am making plenty of HP and not worried about the loss with the restriction of the manifolds compared to headers. If anyone has run into this issue and can lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bo
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
1956 Ford F100

59meteor

Well, I suppose you could install a set of the very restrictive log exhaust manifolds from a 58 or 59 332/352, or from the early 60s full size Fords, the C8OE-N 428 CJ heads have both the horiziontal and vertical exhaust bolt patterns (4 holes around each port), so the logs will bolt up, but be a significant cork, powerwise. I never tried, but a set of factory 428 CJ Mustang or Fairlane exhaust manifolds may fit, since several versions of Mustang FE headers have been known to fit the 57-59 Ford engine compartment. I have a 428 CJ and Toploader 4 speed in my 59 2 door sedan, and have the FPA headers that are specifically made for 57-59 Ford cars with FE engines. I don`t know what issues you are having with the headers that you have tried, but with the FPAs, I just had to trim the corner from the engine side Z Bar pivot bracket, and move the Z Bars lower lever toward the driver side by just over an inch to clear the headers, pretty minor stuff. And if you did decide to convert to a hydraulic throw out bearing setup, you should not need to change the input shaft of the transmission, you just need to obtain the correct kit to work with a Ford. Check with McLeod for a hyd. throw out bearing kit. But my first choice would be to modify your clutch linkage, and if thats a major dilema,get the FPA headers.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Tom S