News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

which rack in our systems?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-06-21 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Heck, I can't find anything since we moved 2 years ago. I know I have it written down, but does anybody know for sure what years the Cavalier rack is in our R & P systems. Mine came from John Starks, but I think Wurthit's was the same. Also, some year Cavaliers had either spline input shafts or ones with flat(s?). Can'r remember what ours has.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Rich, can't sleep, so I as I read the latest Forum posts, I see your question.
My rack is from John Starks as well. Mine has a flat on the input shaft. John Starks notes to me, say the rack I have is from a '86-'90 Chevy Cavalier.
Are all '86-'90 Cavalier racks the same............I do not know.
Hope this helps.
John

gasman826

Let me start off with the standard disclaimer, I don't have the answer and my comments are from 20 year old memories.  There are at least FIVE part numbers for the "Cavalier" rack swap.  All five have common exterior specs.  There are two common sector shaft configurations...Double D and splined.  There are three common internal differences...standard ratio, sport ratio, and variable effort assist.  I chose splined (with flat spot) for no other reason than to make assembly consistant.  I stayed away from variable assist because it is an unnecessary option that may or may not cause a problem.  I chose the standard ratio because three turns lock to lock was way faster than the old, worn out, OEM steering box.  The sport ratio 2.5 turns lock to lock seemed unnecessary if not overkill.  The choice pretty much comes down to splined or Double D with 3 or 2.5 turns lock to lock.  Unfortunately, I don't memorize part numbers and make and model doesn't narrow it down.  I do have a Cardone part number written down somewhere.  If I don't forget before I get my shoes tied, I'll look for it when I get to the shop.  Alas, the part number would be worthless if you have the Double D sector shaft.

If all else fails, Cardone will custom rebuild your core for a few bucks extra.

RICH MUISE

That's what I needed to know, John..what Sparky supplied. I thought it was the "flat" one because I remember wondering how I was going to make small adjustments on centering the steering wheel...much easier with the splined I would think, but my alignment guy took care of that anyway..
Thanks for all that info, Gary. As you mentioned a part number for the splined would do me no good if it turned out I needed the one with the flat, which is the case.. Sparky and I talked about the sport ratio rack, he said they're practically unavailable anyway.
The main difference I'm seeing in the specs RockAuto list, other than splines, is whether or not they are HD suspension. I suspect the HD suspension is another name for the Sport setup.
Got one on order, thanks. I ordered ACDelco 36R0345 input shaft w/ flat, power rack, 3 turns lock to lock. 86 Cavalier and other years.

RICH MUISE

I realized a few days ago when pulling my old rack that it actually was a 2.5 turns! It was not the rack Sparky supplied with the kit as I've already replaced it before. Hopefully within a few days I'll have everything back together and can test drive it, and report on the difference in feel between the 2.5 and 3.0. I never felt the 2.5 was "overkill" or too touchy. I liked it a lot, particularly after modifying my linkage recently. I hope I like the 3 turns as much. Ha, thought about returning it, but thought why? I don't know that I wont like it better.
I'll hang on to my old rack in case I need/want to sent it to Cardone, as Gary mentioned, for rebuild in the future.

RICH MUISE

Just ran across this old thread and realized it never got updated after I got to drive it for a while. At first, I didn't like the 3.0 turns quite as much as the 2.5, It wasn't as quick a response. The big difference I've noted is a major improvement in how the car handles at 65+ on open highways. Before, the car would be pushed all over the lane with either a wind gust, or when a big rig passed me. Not any more. The car is very steady in the ever-present winds we have here in Texas, and a big rig passing by has almost no affect. This was very surprising to me, but after 9 months of driving, I can still confirm the 3 turn rack makes the car much more stable.

silverbird#58

[quote -  yes gents  , in our cars we need a  Firm rack OR a tight box .    since i drive at the 75-85 mph ranges (with traffic )  i  like the slow ford box ratio, 
                                And AT 70 ish mph  my ford is nimble , 
                               the box has all the play out of it  with STP added .
                             i Took off the steering wheel , and took off drag link .  slowly Lowered the pitman shaft to a tighter Clearance At It center sweet spot . 
                                 the input clearance was checked and was  taken up a  thou or two .  then snugged up .
                     put back together  , with new  rare iron ball joints ,  and it is close to new again.
             at 70 and 80 mph the car is nimble and far better than some rack systems .   
                         Example -  my sons 1999 ford f150 is simply horrid to drive   , even with   3 deg castor  flat foot camber and 3/16 toe   , the truck Still is very Dartly   at road and city speed (it sucks )
                       The 60 square bird does fine.