News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering control valve retrofit

Started by thomasso, 2019-08-16 22:29

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

Has anyone attempted to use later P.S. control valve on a 57.  I have one from a 63 Torino.  Has much better seals.  Haven't been under car to check size, hoses etc.  Not as easy as it used to be.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

81TTA

I don't think it would directly connect to the 57 drag link.  On "later" control valves like used on Mustangs, it looks like it kind of necks-down to a smaller diameter where it connects to the drag link.  I'm assuming because the drag links for those applications are themselves smaller in diameter?  The 57 control valves do not have that reduction.  If you Google some images of both control valves, you should be able to see the difference.  I've never had one of each to be able to take actual measurements, though.  Putting a lot of faith in the internet!!

That being said, I'd imagine someone could machine the later control valve and/or create an adapter that would get things connected.  At worse, adapters could be used in the event any of the hose-end threads don't match. 

One other thing I'll mention...  I've had problems with intermittent and/or relatively small leaks on my control valve.  When I first rebuilt the valve, I sourced all the parts either as NOS or from the usual range of car part suppliers.  Always had a little annoying drip from the valve.  This winter, I decided to go right to a seal supplier (Martin Fluid Power) for everything instead.  I can't say what material is used to make the aftermarket seals.  And, I'm certain the "rubber" used to make the NOS stuff wouldn't hold a candle to some of today's "rubber" formulations.  I picked up two sets of the seals in different formulations to try.  So far, I haven't had any leaks (famous last words!!).  I mention this only as a potential option if you can't get the 63 valve to work.

gasman826

I had a persistent leak in the valve area.  Finally found one of the 'new' valve-to-cylinder hoses was leaking from the git-go.  I sent the '63/64 control valve to Cardone for a custom rebuild.  It has been good for the past 25k miles.

thomasso

81TTA ;  Thanks for your reply.  Do you happen to remember the part numbers of the seals you used.  I too used NOS seals, cannot stop the leaking, think it leaks mostly when parked.  Sure would be nice to just get good seals.  Thanks.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

81TTA

Sorry for the delay.  Had to look through some parts and notes I made when I did the rebuild.

I think the control valve I'm using came from a 1959 application.  The end of the spool valve that goes toward the drag link I have is 1/2" in diameter.  If I measure the seals I was getting when ordering "1957" parts, it appears that same spool valve dimension was 5/8".  Both are 7/8" OD.  I pieced my power steering parts together from E-bay, Craigslist and whatever junkyard pieces I could find.  Like so many things, you don't realize there are differences until you start digging into everything!!

I purchased both Viton and Nitrile seals.  I understand Viton works better at higher temperatures and worse at low (i.e. freezing) temperatures.  Nitrile operates at an overall lower range (so it's better for applications that will drop to sub-zero temps).  I'm sure there are a bazillion different chemistries that fall under the same trade name.  And, I'm not a chemical engineer or seal expert!  I used the Viton seal since the PS fluid gets HOT.  So far, no leaks.

For my valve with 0.500" ID / 0.875" OD, I used MFP part 6226-07VT70.  Here's a link to the list of seals of that type : https://www.mfpseals.com/c/99/an6226-u-cup-vt70-fkm-vitonreg-70.html

From the measurements I took from the NOS 1957 seal (0.625" ID / 0.875" OD), the part number would be BV-0062-4VT80.  https://www.mfpseals.com/c/101/block-vee-u-cup-vt80-fkm-vitonreg-80.html

I didn't keep good records of what I used on the "back" of the spool valve where the centering spring goes.  I also got that seal in the same formulation from the same place.  Just can't find the part number or measurements in my notes.  If my fuzzy memory is correct, I think it's virtually identical to the 1957 seal (0.625/0.875)? 

If you go this route, I would definitely, DEFINITELY check the measurements of the valve you have before ordering any parts.  The second seal is my best guess based on some other best guesses!!  It could be the seals that were sent to me that were supposed to fit the '57 might have been for something completely different.  I had the advantage of this place being local.  So, it was easy to take the old seals in so they could be compared to the new ones for size and construction.

thomasso

Update on my 57 steering control problem.  Finally got to it.  The valves are quite similar.  Housings won't interchange as the 63 has a built in relief valve.  I used the spool with the 1/2" ends from the 63 and the seals which were still good. No leaks yet and works good.  Thanks for the input.

silverbird#58

[quote    -  jesus guys  , i had not been on here  in almost 20 years .
                                       Let me share segment of time with you,  from the summer of 1962.
                             My dads 1959 sky, was  near mint car then  white over white with green inside, 
                             The control valve leaked so he calls his buddy over  , he worked at a  edsel dealer and was sharp wrench turner. . 
                             I was four years old in the kitchen that day so i listened.   Colbert duggins said bill , i can  fix that easy IF you go to Jim , Oneal Ford and get the seals.  (the dealer is still open) .
                              he showed me how .  ; and Dave bring that coffee cup  i need it . 
                              he takes the seals from the ford pouch and  drops them in coffee cup ; then adds  1/3 cup of DOT 3 brake fluid . the car was jacked up and i sat down under the front bummer.
                            "Dave  , soak for 15 min " but no more .  then install still wet , . he said the etching to strip the release agent from the rubber .  ( i told him i didnt understand )
                                      he said this works for Other seals on these cars.   
                            And this will last for several years. 
                                                                               Colbert Duggins was right .
                        With my  Time behind the wheel . in my 60 bird.   the driving is  Close to the same .   But i added  1997 ford ranger 14" alloy wheels . the are 1/3 lighter.
                                       i added the 1958 bird front shocks  to the current 60 front set .  and radial tires.
                                      For cooling i have a alloy metal air dam that is on a full lenth  brass piano hinge  .   at slow speeds below   40 a spring pulls it up out of the way . (the cat shelf )--
                                      - where kitty cat sit in winter  was removed . Now i have full  Air pressure At the top of the radiator , this way i can keep my Quiet fan with no shroud.
                                          Also  i advanced the timing to leave the advance can unhooked .    with 91 oct fuel  it does well .  and the four corner idle  4100 carb.