News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

not a good day

Started by alvin stadel, 2019-11-03 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Well yesterday started out great, no wind temp in the 50's so I thought I'd get my cars winterized, stable, oil changes ect. After putting stable in the fuel I always drive  them for a while then put them back in the garage and with covers on ready for the long winter.  I had my convertible backed out of the garage left it running with the drivers door open.  Went to close the overhead door and looked around and the 57 was going backwards, don't know if I never had it in park all the way or what, happened one other time about 3 years ago, but was able to catch it. Not this time, tried to but door knocked me out of the way.  I have fire hydrants  set in concrete by the corners of my shop, and it hit  one as it went by. About completely tore the door  off, lots of damage to front fender, took out the interior door panel, kind of cork screwed the door post, bent the hinges. My wifes garden fence,[metal] finally stopped it, that took out left tail light door and tail light, messed up the rear 1/4.  Will call ins. agent in morning, and go from there. I guess it could have been worse, as it could have run over me when I was trying to get into the car and get it stopped.  I always say when you are born under the wrong star S---t happens.  take care, Alvin

RICH MUISE

Alvin...........wow, sorry to hear that. Believe me, you know that I know how you feel. I thought I had a lock on doing weird stuff to our '57's.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

There but for the grace of God.... Man I feel your pain. A while back I turned around to see my Custom rolling down the driveway towards an iron fence. I stood up to chase the car slipped and fell. The car crashed in to a large full composite plastic garbage can and the only damage I could find was a slightly pushed back bumper guard that put a bit of a twist in the bumper. 5 feet beyond the fence was a transformer and 15 feet beyond that was the lake. I was obviously a lot luckier than you and ever since I set the e brake and make sure the car is in gear. I wish you the best of luck in the repair process.
Lynn

terry_208

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap but very glad you're unscathed, even if your car wasn't!
Terry

Ecode70D

Alvin
     I am very very sorry to hear this bad news.  Thank God that it only knocked you out of the way and you didn't  get hurt.
     Hopefully you have some good insurance on the car.  Jay

djfordmanjack

so sad to hear these bad news ! hopefully it's insurance covered and can be repaired. I had the same accident with my first 57, in 1998.  shifter in Park and it jumped into Reverse, couldn't get in car in time and it wiped out the door and A post when it backed up in a concrete BBQ set. I had owned the car just for a few weeks. I was devestated, so I feel your pain. Now I also always go with the emergency brake set, when the engine is running.
Back then I found that the column shifter was very sloppy and worn out, a problem that could probably happen with any 57 Ford or any  old Auto car w/ column shift, for that matter. Another problem was an overly heavy aftermarket shifter ball, that had been mounted by a po.
Everybody should really be aware of the risk of leaving an Auto car idling in Park! Thankfully nobody got hurt.

Jeff Norwell

Sorry Alvin for the bad news.. but at least your not hurt.The car can be fixed.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

The worse case.   Many many years ago my older brother told me that he actually saw one take off and pin the driver against
a bench.  It killed  him on the spot.  I'll not go into the gory part of this event that he saw.
       We all have to be very careful and make sure that the parking brake works and use it even if we have standard shift cars.

Ford Blue blood

Alvin so glad you're OK!  A friend had a mishap not a lot unlike yours.  He was doing some light maintenance, went to get out of the car, his arm/hand must have hit the gear shift (floor mounted) and popped it in to reverse.  While his event wasn't fatal he did spend six hours pinned between his hoist post and the drivers door.  Two cracked ribs, a purple chest and belly (yes, he found no humor in us calling him the Purple People Eater) and sixteen stiches.  Car finally ran out of gas, his neighbor noticed the car "looked weird" sitting with the rear hanging out the garage door.  His words of wisdom...let it go, only a car".  Guess I have to agree but sometimes the brain won't work like that!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Very glad you are OK. I had one mishap years ago and ever since I always chock a tire when working on them, even my stick shift cars.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Alvin...sorry to hear about the mishap. Sucks beyond description. Just glad you didn't get hurt. Let us know how the repairs go.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Wirenut

Glad you did not get hurt or worse, good luck in getting repairs done, hopefully your insurance company will take care of you.

Tom S