News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Kick down rod

Started by Buckaroo, 2019-12-11 19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo

Our 57 Fairlane 2 door hard top has a 390 installed.  The gas pedal is hooked up to the carb, but there is not a kick down rod installed.  The engine and transmission are early 60s vintage.  I am assuming it should have the kick down rod.  Could someone post a photo of how it should be installed.  Any help would be appreciated.

KULTULZ

This is a general Ill.

Usually, FORD only showed enough for the PARTS MAN to ID Basic Part Numbers.

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Buckaroo

Thank you.  That is a good start  I will have to see what parts I have and what I am missing.  I am assuming the 57's did not have this feature.

KULTULZ

QuoteI am assuming the 57's did not have this feature.

The 57 had a kick down rod. The shifting was done with throttle valve linkage whereas your present trans uses a vacuum modulator valve.

You posted early sixties so the trans should be either an FX or MX. The TRANS should have an ID Plate and that will help you narrow it all down to find parts or maybe go to a LOKAR cable setup.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Ford Blue blood

Buckaroo,  I have been running a 351C/FMX since 1980 without the kick down rod in my street rod.  Never had a problem with it, it does kick down, I suspect with the vacuum modulator, when ever the need for full throttle happens.  The lever for the linkage is on the transmission so it had one in the 72 Ranchero they came out of.  Just never saw the need to put one on.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Buckaroo

Ford Blue blood, thank you for your input.  I was wondering if I had to hook it up.  Once spring arrives and I have the interior and wiring done I will take it for a shake down cruise.  Hope to have it in shape to drive it to Back to the 50's in June.