News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Reference Measurement Request

Started by Jaybird, 2020-01-17 09:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybird

Hi I?m working a spring issue on my wagon. I need a baseline dimension from a stock 57 from the ground up to the inner fender lip at center. I think a past owner lowered the front and the spring is toast. It?s almost sitting on the bump stops. Currently I?m at 23 inches ground to fender lip at centerline. Any help is appreciated!!
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

hiball3985

Appears to be lowered front and rear. To get a stock dimensions will require some who has stock suspension and tire size. Hopefully someone with a stock one will chime in soon.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jaybird

Yes it has 3 inch lowering blocks in the rear but the front is a mess. My suspicions are that the spring was heated based on the fact that there is little support. I took a tire measurement but don?t have it with me. My frame just behind the front wheel is under 4 inches....not good. Floor jack won?t even go under it now.
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

lalessi1

My car has Aerostar springs and a 1/2" spacer. With 28" tires the lip was 24 1/2" from the ground. My guess is stock is around 27".
Lynn

rmk57

Mine is 27 1/4" with a 205 75 15 tire.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Mine has settled to 25 1/2. 215-70-15 tires.
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but I've found  the best way to get comparative dimensions is to ask for a dimension from the fender lip to the center of the wheel. That way it takes everybody's varying tire sizes and air pressure  out of the equation. Mine is at 12 3/4 there
Welcome to the "spring merry-go-round"! Very few get it where they want it on the first try. Tons of variables. Eaton's of Detroit has 3 different coil springs available off the shelf for our '57s, but that's not adequate to cover even the oem variables. To keep ride height consistent thru the '57 Ford lineup, Ford's production line used 9 different coil springs depending on each car's options.
As Lynn stated, if you're looking for a lowered stance, the cheap way to go is Aerostars ($60ish), but they won't work if your car has lowered spindles........ which brings up the question of does your car have Granada spindles (and front disc brakes)? that combination with aerostars will give the results of your description of your current ride
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jaybird

Thanks for all the great input. So my Spindles are stock 57?s. I recently swapped out the drums to disk. Tires are 205-75-15 Diamond backs that are measuring about 26? diameter. The spindle yo fender is 11?. After reading up on the past spring posts ( which are priceless imo) my first thought was to get the Aerostar springs and a set or two of the urethane spacers from Summit. If I could pick up 2 inches along with spring rate I ?should? be in good shape. I truly think that the existing springs are compromised.
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

Ford Blue blood

Going that route will work (aero springs and spacers) to get you where want to be.  Remember, I" of spacer = 2" of height change, and don't stack them up, get the 1/2 and 1 inch.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

If you go with the Aerostar springs you will need the spacers. I used aluminum ones on the bottom of the springs. I got them from Summit. Without these spacers the bump stops were VERY close to bottoming out. I used 3/4" spacers at first but settled on 1/2". Keep in mind a spacer will raise the car MORE than its thickness because of where it is relative to the spindle. Nominal diameter of a 205/75 15" tire is 27.1". If I ever do mine again, I would use dropped spindles and either CUT stock springs or have springs custom wound. When I got my car the springs had been heated and 3 coils were collapsed.... I used Moog springs, CC850 from RockAuto...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=201328&jsn=256
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, that through me for a loop. What spacer works on the bottom of the spring? Do you have a link, I've never seen one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Ditto.  the bottom of the spring is not flat as the top is. The end of the coil on the bottom has to fit inside the pocket in the lower control arm to keep the spring from rotating, so not sure how a spacer on the bottom would work unless it was cast with a pocket and stop to immitate the spring end.

gasman826

For years, I've read all about front spring combos to get a desired ride height.  There's a lot of good information.  One of my cars has air bags and I really like the ability to adjust height but also ride feel.  Air bags are not that hard to put in and not really expensive.  The pump, tank, and control systems can get very pricey.  If you just use schrieder valves, you can get away pretty cheap.  If you want automated ride height sensors, then it gets expensive.

The Raunch Wagon is on at least the second set of worn out OEM springs.  I thought about the air bag route but I don't want to give up the real estate for the support equipment and certainly not the expense of a auto, height system.  One of the alternatives I really like is converting to coilovers.  There are adapter plates to adapt and re-enforce the lower control arm.  The shocks are adjustable and rebuildable.  There is an infinate number of springs available.  The ride height is also adjustable.  This upgrade is not on this winters maintenance pick list but I think it will be on next years list.

lalessi1

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2020-01-18 09:51
Lynn, that through me for a loop. What spacer works on the bottom of the spring? Do you have a link, I've never seen one.

This what they look like... This is the 3/4" one I used, not sure of the GM thing, don't remember that.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-1705?rrec=true

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the pic......makes sense now.

djfordmanjack

Mercedes used these type of spacers ( on the open coil side) on many of their 1960s and up cars. I am pretty sure they will fit a 57 front spring. Mercedes are made from rubber, so might work well if someone was trying to get rid of noise and squeaks.
concerning front ride height. my 4dr Country Sedan wagon rides very well on Aerostar coils with just thin rubber spacers on top. I did remove the lower A arm rubber stops. it hardly ever touches. I will add very thin rubber pads this year, just in case.
For me, I like the lowered look and frame to blacktop clearance is just a little more than 4" with BF Goodrich 8.00-14. no rubbing whatsoever. 2" blocks in rear.