News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stock bench seat

Started by 57imposter, 2020-04-01 17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

57imposter

I am hoping that someone with a stock front seat can get me a measurement from the floor to the top of the seat cushion. I used the wrong seats and they are too high with no way to cut the frame down to lower them. Big PITA but what else to do when your under house arrest!

Frankenstein57

So I push a yardstick down on the carpet, I get approximately 11" on 58 Ranchero, Mark

57imposter

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2020-04-02 09:04
So I push a yardstick down on the carpet, I get approximately 11" on 58 Ranchero, Mark
Thanks Mark......That's about where I am with my buckets, but they feel way too high. I had my 5' 5" daughter in the car and she looked, and said she felt, like she was about 2 inches too high. I don't get it! I know it will be major surgery to start messing with welded in risers in a completed car. Guess I'll go out and stare at it for a few more hours. 

RICH MUISE

Doug.....I was curious, so I went out and measured my buckets, and they are at 9" at the front, but slope downwards a few more inches, and feel about right to me. I've also got the late model smaller steering wheel with tilt...........if yours is a stock wheel, or stock size, yes, I would think the seats at 11" would seem too high, and if I remember correctly, you're about my height (5'8"), or a little shorter? Now I'm wondering why 11" seems tall if that's where Mark's stock seats are at. Maybe we just sat higher in the old cars, and are now use to sitting lower in the modern cars?
When I installed my buckets, I used uni-strut (also called Super Strut) for the risers/attachment. They are bolted in and gives tons of adjustment with little work. The Unistrut I used is about 2" tall. I can get you some pics and details on that if you need.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57chero

My seat is pretty much stock as far as padding and upholstery, it measures about 10" at the front edge and slopes down towards the back cushion.

rmk57

I'm around 10.5 and probably closer to 11 without the carpet / underlay.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Quote from: 57imposter on 2020-04-01 17:57
I am hoping that someone with a stock front seat can get me a measurement from the floor to the top of the seat cushion. ...
I posted these pix almost 8 years ago for someone else on here.

Swank

Afternoon,
I have a stock bench that was reupholstered in the late 70s early 80s from the looks of it.  The padding is a good bit tired and measures aprox 10" in the front and 7" in the back.  With good padding that would probably put it in line with the previous posts at 11" in front and 8" at the back.  Mine feels a little low.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Ford Blue blood

Hard to be KOOL when you have to duck your head to see out the windshield.....just sayin.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

yes, exactly. Even with my apparently lower seats, and being a short guy, I still have problems seeing traffic lights.
Doug?? where'd ya go?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

For old, fat man reasons, I relocate my seat to the rear by a couple of inches.  Being the first one to a stop light adds a new responsibility to monitor the light that you can't see.  I have learned that if I have this responsibility to look out the side window if there is a light over the opposing lane, check for a light across the intersection, or watch the change on the pedestrian crossing light.  I had a prism but got too many false green signals from Christmas lights or store signage.

57imposter

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-04-04 07:40
yes, exactly. Even with my apparently lower seats, and being a short guy, I still have problems seeing traffic lights.
Doug?? where'd ya go?
Haven't gone anywhere but have been kinda tied up with Motorcycle stuff. I am just now addressing 4or 5 interior issues that should have been done when I was finishing the car. Went ahead and gutted most of the interior out today and installed rear seat belts that had been in the box for about ten years. Still need to fix rear deck speaker wires and install my 3rd brake light. Then it will be on to the major surgery part which is lowering the seats. I am just a bit over 11 inches, you said you liked about 9 inches. I can drop the front 1 5/8 with some pretty simple bracket mods. I am not sure what kind of problems the rear mounts are going to give me but they will be way more than the fronts. I also want to raise my console but that won't be hard once I figure out how much in relation to the new seat height. Thats about it from here, fortunately, with the way I work, anymore, I will probably need most of our shutdown month to get back on the road.

Tom S

Quote from: 57imposter on 2020-04-04 21:13Haven't gone anywhere but have been kinda tied up with Motorcycle stuff.
Motorcycle stuff?  Are you on the Adventure Rider, (ADV), site?
https://advrider.com/f/
My favorite two out of my six+ bikes.

John Palmer

Ah Motorcycles!  All car guys need at least one. 

Both my son and I are between bikes.  He recently sold his Africa Twin adventure bike, and I sold my Concours 14 sport touring.

fdlrc

Looks like a Maltese fire department emblem on red frame bike.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco