News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

FiveSevenLiter

Years ago I would make a weekly run up through the Fraser Canyon to call on gas stations along the Trans-Canada Highway. One stop was at the Esso in Spuzzum.  It was known for having the 'Welcome to Spuzzum' on one end of the property and 'Thanks for Visiting' on the other end.  I would have my breakfast with Dick and his wife and take the stock order for the gas station.  One week he gave me a book called "I listened and learned"- about Service Station Operation published by Chek Chart.  From the illustrations and reference to gas rations I would think it was from the early 40's.  In there it says to always send three people to the pump, one for gas, one for tires, one under the hood.  I have always treasured it for the memories of stopping at Dick's Esso, but also enjoy re-reading it for the common sense lessons that have been forgotten by today's generation.
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

"but also enjoy re-reading it for the common sense lessons that have been forgotten by today's generation."

I too miss the days when we seemed to have a LOT more common sense and less of the "me-me=me" world of today!

Looks like a neat book...would have been a fun one to read no doubt. I used to work the islands in my teens and early 20's. Some fond memories to this day of those places.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Agreed, we have become so far removed from what the real world was, and what made this country great. It is now a shell of what it once was.
Sadly, there is no longer a work ethic, pride in workmanship, and....oh crap, I think this is where Rich told me to get off my soap box and stay away from political....

:001:

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

FiveSevenLiter

I put the chain saw away for a lunch break and found this tidbit -

** "I LISTENED AND LEARNED" – ABOUT SERVICE STATION OPERATION, A VERY-SCARCE BOOK BY BILL OLSON AND THE CHEK-CHART CORPORATION. BILL OLSON CONTINUES TO A OPERATE STATIONS AT A PROFIT, IN SPITE OF CHISELING AND PRICE CUTTING IN PEACE TIME, AND A MULTITUDE OF ANNOYANCES IN WAR TIME. THIS BOOK IS A RECORD OF HOW AND WHAT HE LEARNED. IT IS RECORDED FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS WHO, LIKE BILL HIMSELF, KNOW HOW TO LEARNED BY LISTENING. . . BILL OLSON IS THE SON OF SLIM OLSON WHO STARTED SLIM OLSON'S SERVICE STATIONS IN UTAH IN 1938, NOW OWNED AND OPERATED BY DOUG AND KEITH OLSON.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

Sounds like a good read. I would like to get a copy of that.

Yea Joe...we're gonna be in trouble again...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

guys, this is not political and its a world wide problem. times have been a changing since Bob Dylan found about it. work ethics have changed so much. the problem is that there seems no need for work ethics, since there seems to be no 'work' anymore. it's all about selling and distributing, and where is the work ? I think I know. I am still busting my knuckles at least 8 hrs a day and I wouldn't want to trade that for any modern times social networking tools anytime. I love the internet for making new friends and discussing our hobby/passion of old vintage Fords, but you'll find me in the shop, tinkering and working on stuff. Joe, I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I mean.

well, common sense, golden rule.... whatever you call it.
I findit highly interesting that a service station attendent instruction book of the 1940s (?) would openly discuss this. That sounds very open minded, yet casual and - well- common sense ( in a positive way) !
a great read and terrific illustrations !

RICH MUISE

yeah, what DJ said. Discussing work ethics, pride in a job well done, lack of manufacturing skills, etc..is not political imho. I've talked about much of this myself here in the past, just avoiding the finger pointing. Carry on guys. :burnout:
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Joe? In your wild and crazy youth?  :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

You mean last weekend?  :icon_super:

Could have been, but the glasses say "nope"   :003:

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Lgcustom

Awesome view of those flying wings! I've seen a few photos of individual planes flying but thought it was a one off prototype. Can't recall their name?
I read that they were very tricky to control and unstable with manual controls.