News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

R :003: TFLMA :005:

Funny LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

final destination of the hot rod 100 I did a few weeks ago. Jerry's wrecker service in Guthrie, OK.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Very cool Rich!    :004:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

1962 NHRA Winternationals Drag Race - Pomona
UNITED STATES - FEBRUARY 20: 1962 NHRA Winternationals Drag Race. Gene Adams' AA/Dragster driven by Tom McEwen, in far lane, versus Mickey Thompson's dual inline blown aluminum Pontiac-powered dragster driven by Jack Chrisman in the near lane.

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Joe, I'm trying to date a pic I have of a part I made for the space shuttle. Do you have any info on the date of the very first piggy back flight when they flew the Columbia (I think) from Ca to Fla. All I could find was info on when they started the regular scheduled lifts in the early 80's. It was a very tense moment in time, all eyes were on the do or die flight.
Edit...found some info. It was the enterprise, and it was 1977.

CobraJoe

Sorry Rich, just got in from working at the shop and didn't see your post until now. Glad you were able to find it though. While we are on the subject....

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Ha, I knew if anyone had that info, it would be you, Joe. I found the '77, but not the exact date. Hard to believe it was almost 44 years ago, but then it was another life......
OK, I'm going to pat myself on the back here for a minute, because it involved probably my biggest lifetime achievement.
I got an award from North American Rockwell for a significant contribution to the space shuttle program for making the almost impossible happen. The award was a certificate signed by the original 2 astronauts and a medallion that was made from non-reusable parts taken from the first shuttle space flight and melted down. The reason, I can honestly say, was that I was personally responsible for making that flight happen on that date and not a year or more later involving hundreds if not thousands of layoffs at JPL, North American Rockwell, and even NASA. I was only 30 at the time, and now I'm going to be 74 in a month. I wanted somebody to know..running across that picture I mentioned got me thinking about "the old days".
Wow, that was a mouthful, but there's a looooonnnng story behind it.

CobraJoe

Very cool Rich, would love to hear more about, I mean, if it's not classified.... :002:

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

I'm going to try and condense this story as much as possible. You guys know I'm from Mass. I was an apprentice machinist when Nixon started closing down NASA operations in retribution for the state not carrying him. Machine shops were going out of business all over the state. I was driving taxi in Waltham to pay bills. My inlaws had moved to Socal, and told me there was tons of ads in the LA area for machinists, so we packed up and moved. I think late 1968. Found a good job at a tool and die shop my first day there. Fast forward a few years, we moved to Orange county and I ended up snowing my way into a prototype Bridgeport job at an 80 man privately owned shop in Newport Beach. Fast forwarding to 1976, I had worked my way up thru the ranks, moved into the office doing hiring, NC programming, estimating, and supervising the shop in general. We did work for Boeing, Ford Aerospace, Hughes helicopter, and had been trying to get on the Space Shuttle program for 5 years, but, aside from their own machine shop, they had a small list of approved machine shop vendors they did not want to expand. Our sales guy went in there once a month or so just to keep our name in their considerations. OK, that's the scenario until....... once again NASA, by way of North American Rockwell, became a big part of my life.

RICH MUISE

One Friday morning, the salesguy came into my office and said he was on his way to Rockwell. He said "I got a call this morning, they bluntly told me they were having a major problem, and if we were as good as we've been telling them, they needed me up there today". He said, this might be our big and maybe last chance. I said cool, I'm finally caught up here, so I'm taking a long weekend. I'll see ya Tuesday. He called later that day from LA, to tell me he was bringing bleprints. "The problem is," he said, "they need an answer Monday morning". Well, there went my weekend. Roger brought the roll of bluprint to my house. I asked how many parts were on that roll, he replied just one!! (4) 36"x8' foot blueprints.
I spent 22 hours that weekend studying, planning, and roughly estimating. This had to be a "gut feeling" estimate, I didn't have time for a complete breakdown.
Monday morning meeting. Me, the salesman, and the owner. The owner was amazed at the complexity of the part. "can we make it?" Yes! They need the part in 6 weeks, can we make that? yes, but there's a problem there. What did you estimate? Roughly 650 hours (yes, for one part). The owner said, no problem, we're running two shifts" I replied.cannot do, that part's too complicated. If more than one guy works on it, it'll get screwed up for sure, so there's the problem..... 650 hours over the next 6 weeks for one machinist. Who are we going to give the job to? Our top two mill machinists, Larry will make a perfect part, but we'll be 6 weeks late. Paul will make the due date, but we know he screws up 20% of the time, and he won't have time to remake it like he usually does.
Tom, the owner, told Roger to call it in, tell them we can do it. Are you sure? If we screw up, it'll be our last chance. call it in. Roger left to go call it in. I asked Tom who he thought we should give the job to. His reply......go dust off your toolbox!!
A flat bed truck arrived the next morning with two aluminum billets. He was followed by a van with two source inspectors whose job over the next 6 weeks was to, #1 not let the billets out of their sight as long as the shop was open, and #2 to approve us as an approved supplier.
The billets were approx 8" thick x 26" x 34", and were to be entirely machined on a Bridgeport!!. We had N/Cs, but early day N/Cs had too many bugs, and programing/testing times would have eaten up the 6 weeks. Almost nothing for canned cycles, so most machining would have been point to point calculations.
NO PRESSURE.........The forged billets took a full year to produce. pouring at foundry, x-ray, forging,x-ray, special heat treat 7075-T851, x ray, artificially age, x ray.........you get the picture. Rockwell had 6 billets made, Their top 2 shops both screwed it up twice. That left only 2 billets and the reason why if they didn't get a good part, the program would go into at least a year delay. Their own shop in LA said they couldn't make it.
I was told at the outset if I needed anything that wasn't happening fast enough, I had the full resources of Rockwell at my disposal, and if they needed to, they could go past the pentagon and NASA right to the top.
5 weeks and 550 hours later, they had a perfect part. When the source inspector called in the final inspection report to his boss, his boss put the phone over the loudspeaker and asked him to repeat what he just said. We could here the clapping and cheering from where we were 5 feet away.
That's one of my feel good, yes, pat myself on the back stories, sorry it got so winded.

RICH MUISE

BTW, the Enterprise was not one of the full bblown space shuttles. It was for atmospheric testing only, never got the engines, ceramic coating, etc etc that the ones that were actually launched into space got. Later I'll post a pic of that part I talked about in progress.

CobraJoe

Seriously, looking forward to seeing this part. That had to make you feel good pulling that off, especially under the gun and everyone else phucked it up. Hopefully, you had it priced it for the amount of time and pressure.

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,