News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Yikes...how did you snag that pic? They are supposed to be safe from pilfering...

Yea....those 88's had a nasty reputation. The father of a buddy of mine was in the German theater of WWII and he spoke of those guns with both respect and fear.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

The Tiger was a formidable weapon!  It did have a soft spot, it's rear end.  The saving grace of the Sherman was it was much faster and maneuverable and able to get off the "kill shot" right up the Tigers a$$!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Anyone need a haircut..? YIKES!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

There is a story behind that picture:
Feeding Polar Bears From A Tank, 1950

The soldiers would feed the polar bears with condensed milk tins. People would open such a tin with a tin-opener and then gave the can to the bear who licked all the milk from tin and then feed her little bears with it. Those blue and white tins of condensed milk were the winter dessert staple of every Soviet kid. The condensed milk (called in Russian: sgushchennoye moloko) had indeterminately long shelf life and there was always plenty of it. It was a common dessert in the army too. It isn't surprised to see it given away to bears, because unlike some stuff that was rationed the condensed milk in USSR was available in unlimited amounts.

Giving a kiss to the bear cub.

Photo taken during a routine military expedition in Chukchi Peninsula, Soviet Union. It isn't sure if the Chukchi Peninsula has more people or white bears. The climate is very severe and sometimes weather can be so fierce in winter that the temperature falls 40C degrees below zero (it is the same by Fahrenheit, -40F) so that poor white bears and their cubs start starving and freezing. The soldiers, who served on the Army District of Chukchi Peninsula, didn't turn their backs on the poor and starving animals and started to feed them every now and then. Of course you do not have such big amounts of meat at home to feed several white bears. And soldiers decided to feed the bears up with what they had in abundance - tins, or to be more exact, condensed milk.

The tracked vehicle you see on the photo is a GT-SM GAZ-34036, fully amphibious. This vehicle was widely employed by the Soviet Military. It was an over-snow vehicle designed for a variety of roles, but primarily as a general cargo/troop carrier and light artillery/heavy mortar tractor. The GT-S is also capable of traversing shallow swamp areas. The layout is conventional, with an engine compartment at the front, a cab behind that, and the cargo/troop section behind the cab. Towing capacity of the GT-S is 2 tons.

A group of Soviet soldiers feeding a polar bear.

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

What ? How ? Never ever !  :003:

Nice try !

CobraJoe

DJ, we know it?s not real, but it was posted to spark interest and hopefully a response, which it did. 👍

The picture definitely is a photoshop: The flight deck of a Nimitz class carrier is around 252 feet wide, the wingspan of a B-52 is about 185 feet. There would be 67 feet to spare on the deck and the picture shows it completely spanning the deck

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

As an aside, the shots of a C-130 landing/taking off from a carrier you?ll see online are true. In 1963, a Navy test pilot, Lt James Flatley, III , the son of another very famous Naval Aviator of the same name, used a USMC KC-130 to prove the feasibility of operation off of carriers. 29 touch and goes, 21 full stop landings and takeoffs later they found out that a ?130 with a some very minor mods could carry 25K pounds 2,500NM operating off of ?The Boat?. Even though it was deemed possible, the Navy felt that it was a bit too risky to be a routine op. So, the Navy went to a smaller COD (Carrier On-Board Delivery aircraft). The future of COD is the CMV-22 (?C? for COD) which is the Navy variant (MV-22) with longer legs, better comms, etc. The current COD is the Northrop-Grumman C-2 which is expected to fly until the mid-2020?s.

I cannot access my Imgur account as I do not know my password, but I will have the picture when I get home

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Ford Blue blood

The C-130 being used as a cargo delivery vehicle trials were during the transition from C-1A to the C-2.  Both of those were derivatives of radar intercept planes.  The C-1 affectionately know as a "Willy Fud" had a fixed dome and a limited radar range.  The plane also had limited communication capabilities and did not fit into the Navy's new at that time NTDS combat system.  The C-2 know as the "Hummer" had a rotating radar dome, much more powerful radar and unlimited space for communications equipment and operators.  It acted in a long range intercept function for years.  The last transport aircraft the Navy was using was a modified S-2.  They were submarine hunters with a large storage capability in their converted torpedo bays, that and they were extremely long range capable.

All that information was/is very old.  To give an idea of how old.....I was the conning officer aboard USS America when the first ever touch and goes, traps and launches were conducted for the F-18 prior to it being approved for further testing.  We had hundreds of engineers from Patuxent River  on board with tons of test equipment.  The whole operation was unique, the 18s control surfaces flopped around compared to those of currently deployed aircraft.  Not sure why, but we on the bridge found it quit entertaining watching them cycle controls prior to launch.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

cool info !
Yes Joe, I have seen the C-130 deck operation in a great video on youtube before....also our local air force uses 2 of them and I can frequently see them flying over my house. ( airport is just a few miles form my place) I can hear her coming, before even visible. those huge props make a very distinguished sound. no other plane around like that. awesome aircraft !

We knew from the start that the B52 was photoshopped, but in reality I believe they have several strong auxiliary rocket (?) units for take off. I don't know if or how an empty 52 would compete in a STOL contest. Lots of power in that big old girl !

fdlrc

Had the privilege to see a B-52 fly over three weeks ago, and this week a Stealth bomber. I didn't realize there are only 9 Stealth bombers in our fleet that are in-service. The other 12 are grounded for various reasons.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

In this May 30, 1964, file photo, a burning tire, left, flies toward spectators after a gasoline tank explosion resulting from a crash on the fourth turn in the second lap of the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Ind. Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald died in the crash. (AP Photo/Bob Daugherty, File)

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,