News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I had never thought about what Joe is doing with the concrete, but it makes tons of sense when you think about it. Most settling is going to be at the foundation rather than the slab, so keeping them separate I would think reduces the chance of the slab cracking over time. At my house, at some point in time since it's construction in 1957, the garage floor has been replaced so it is separate from the old foundation now and unlike the rest of the house's slab, has no cracks.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

True Rich, I believe this is the logical background. In Europe the methods and ideas are totally different. They like to pour super thick slab, over previously built concrete foundations. this may make sense in very wet climates, or very steep terrain.
But we have mostly gravel fields here locally ( ice age glacier remnants). which shouldnt be too different from the sandy grounds of Mass shoreline areas.
Over here they insist in like 10" thick slabs, steel reinforced. All I want to do is park one or 2 cars and put a one storey shed over it.
On the recommended or rather mandatory foundations used here, we could errect a 20 flight skyscraper... :003:

CobraJoe

Thanks, it's nice to be back (it's been raining straight for the past two days here; nice little break). The addition is 30' x 30' with 16' high ceiling for a lift. I wanted to go bigger, but materials are crazy right now.  :sad2:

Here we have to dig down 4 four feet to get below the frost:

Then we pour our footing, with a "keyway" to lock the foundation walls to the footing. (They both will contain steel rebar):

Because of the grade and trying to math my existing garage, I had to bring in fill to keep it below the frost line:

I also flooded it several times to get it to settle.

I know it looks like I am bouncing all over the place, but it's because of the availability of materials; 3 months for my trusses, shortages on sheathing, 45 days for my roof shingles, 3 weeks for siding, etc..etc...etc...
so I keep going where I can. Hoping to get the roof sheathed this Saturday.

I would like to do radiant floor heating when I pour the floor. A good friend of mine has had real good luck utilizing a hot water heater with circulator pumps and offered to do it for me, just hope I don't run out of money before then.  bawl
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

It all makes a lot of sense now. thx for the additional pics and explainations.
love seeing all the neat colorful eastcoast style houses, which brings back a lot of good memories of when we were visiting Jay.
While these buildings may not mean much to you, let me tell you, the design and layouts are very pleasing to the eye. It has been time proven and maybe simple, but I find them beautiful. If you could all see whats going on here in Europe....terrible, terrible terrible. a lack of taste, bad materials and stupid regulations of how to bring even more people in crowded areas. everything is concrete. not much green at all.
This place was paradise from the 1890s to the 1960s, even 1980s or 1990s. Nowadays houses are as ugly as todays music or cars.
Your houses still carry on the style and good taste of the 1900s. Loving it !

RICH MUISE

Heck, I would have run out of money after the first pic you posted. Lumber got crazy after Covid hit. I read an internet article last week explaining the rise. I don't remember the figures exactly, but it went from 380.ish wholesale per 1k board feet, to 1200.+ in a year.
My neighbor is putting an addition onto his house, bought all the materials just before it started dropping. Our house had red shingles on it when we bought it, and after hail damage, we needed it reroofed, but red not available due to covid plant closures. 5300 sq ft roofing $37,800!! getting crazy. My first house didn't cost that. We now have a tan roof.
Thanks for the pics, Joe. I like looking at stuff like that. I see Capes and Colonials are still the norm. What I really miss are the old 1800's Victorians.

djfordmanjack

So true Rich. Austria and Germany now sells a main percentage of their lumber production to the US, so we are short of our own wood products !!!! prices have trippled. I just needed a few larch boards. I payed $250 for 11 boards. 6 inches wide, 1 " thick 15ft long. He gave me a dealers discount for being a local company, but the boards would have set me back $375 retail price.
They were the last in the pile, and he said 3 months delivery time.
you can hardly build a doghouse from those.

So now I have larch gold sitting on my property and hardly dare to do something with it..... :003:

FiveSevenLiter

Saw these in Chilliwack last night.
Off road Hayes - Made in Vancouver

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

FiveSevenLiter

Twin turbo Coyote

FiveSevenLiter

4.6 in the 1959 F100

FiveSevenLiter

Without a doubt, the best sounding flathead I have ever heard.
Ran 155+ at Bonneville in his 1932.

FiveSevenLiter

The Fridge.

rmk57

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2021-08-06 10:22
The Fridge.

I always wanted one of the 57-60 F-100's. Still kinda of looking, but hoping something doesn't come along. Big back window in that one to, cool!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

CobraJoe

Long weekend, especially with the heat & humidity, but managed to get the roof all done and weathertight, somewhat...

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

Heck, you'll be ready for a big party pretty soon. Really fast work! I assume you've got some helpers?
That 4.6 in the pickup is a nice installation. I'm surprised at how many variations of the 4.6 are out there. This one is a sohc, and has 8 intake runners as compared with the 16 on my dohc, but I know some of the later 4.6 dohc only had the 8 runners as well. I think the difference is Ford was trying to keep the Mark VIII easily manageable in town for the typical "older folks" that bought them.