News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

priced right....yeah, my gut feeling quote was as meant to be.........on the high side. I knocked almost 100 hours off the quoted hours. BUT the big thing.....getting on their approved list  kept a half dozen journeymen busy working overtime for 3-4 years on some of the best machining parts you could imagine. Funny thing, I never saw blueprints to quote that part again for the fleet. We figured they must have redesigned for the 6 spaceships being such a problematic part.
Here's the only pic I have. The part was titled Hinge/latch. It was for the main cabin doors (top side of shuttle body) that opened over the cargo bay.
The part had to be roughed out to this stage and sent out once again for x-rays. None of the final surfaces/cavities/pockets/bores have been machined. That "claw" shaped end got a cavity machined. For size perspective, that's a 8' inspection granite, and the height gauge behind it was 24" with an overall height of about 30". Note the two round bosses on either side of the claw. Those bosses were done on the Bridgeport, I can't even remember how I did it, I suspect a reverse use of a boring head. The part was too long to do them on a rotary table. That claw's cavity was done with a 1/2 x 8" "side cutting cutter blade".
Sheeeet....been so long I can't even remember terms for some of the stuff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Dang Rich...sorta makes you an American icon!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

That is a great story, thanks for taking the time to share it!
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

djfordmanjack

Rich, that is such an awesome story, and the real reason that makes the country great. the people that are willing to take a challenge, ANY challenge and make it work! As an engineer, and builders we all here can relate to your story and how all of us, sometimes, have to give it all to solve a problem. great stuff, thanx for sharing!

Joe, that color pic of the shuttle on top of the 747 is just , WOW !

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

alvin stadel

There has to be a good story with that train wreck.

mustang6984

I would be willing to bet more than one guy that day wished he had stayed in bed that morning! Major OOPs!   :-[   :(   >:(
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2020-11-02 20:30
There has to be a good story with that train wreck.

Not much info:

Title: Train wreck. Maine 1926 (Possibly at S.D. Warren Paper Co., Westbrook, Maine)

Creator/Contributor: Jones, Leslie, 1886-1967 (photographer)

Date created: 1926

Physical description: 1 negative : glass, black & white ; 4 x 5 in.

Genre: Glass negatives

Subjects: Railroad accidents

Notes: Title and date from information provided by Leslie Jones or the Boston Public Library on the negative or negative sleeve.

Collection: Leslie Jones Collection

Rights: Copyright - Leslie Jones.

Preferred citation: Courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection.

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

those WWII color slides of the girls working on airplanes are insane. remember this was 80 yrs ago and the color makes it look like yesterday. appears as if the pretty lady is working on some kind of hydraulic landing gear component. It is disgusting to think about the stupid war but still amazing what people did achieve this and that side. Look at how pretty that magnesium  ( or cast alloy)  part is ! Or maybe it's just stupid me....
also the photography is something else ! :004:

mustang6984

G...Yep...spot on...on all accounts.  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

I agree Guenther, 100

Info:
Doing Her Part: 1942
October 1942. Inglewood, California. Young woman employee of North American Aviation working over the landing gear mechanism of a P-51 fighter plane. 4-5 Kodachrome transparency by Alfred Palmer

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,