News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Motorcraft/Autolite 2100 mystery fitting

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-06-20 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

I rebuilt this carb when I purchased the car in 2017 and this fitting was just left open to the atmosphere. There is a considerable amount of hack work on this car and it was previously an automatic. It's been 3 years, but I dont even remember where the port led to, either ported vacuum or manifold vacuum?

Any idea what it's for? I may just cap it off.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

rmk57

My guess would be ported vacuum for the distributor advance.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

If it sucks air at idle it's manifold vacuum, if it sucks vacuum at half throttle it's ported.

That is a much later than 1957 carb, any numbers, tags ect on it?

Ron.

59meteor

Agreed, that carb is likely from well into the 70s to early 80s. That said, I don`t recall ever seeing a vacuum nipple in that location, though to be honest, most of my experiances with 2 barrel carbs has been to remove them.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Fabulous50s

Tag says Motorcraft D2AF FD.

According to Google, it's the correct carb, used from 1958-1974 Ford/Merc V8. My car is a '59, but again this has been a bit hacked. It had the original heat furnace choke on it, which I replaced with an electric choke and cleaned up the vacuum bits from that.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

rmk57

D2AF would be 1972 full size Ford, Galaxie, LTD......

I had a newer Motorcraft 2bbl like yours on my 272 and it worked fine. The original was well worn out and wouldn't pass an emissions test so swapped on the newer unit and it passed with flying colors. They are great little carburetors if that's all you need.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Although the basis Autolite 2100 series carbs may bolt onto all those years of intake manifolds, there were hundreds of variations of the same basic carb over those years. As Randy said, that code means it was originally used on a 1972 application. They are an excellent working carb if you are not too concerned about performance. Reliability, drivability and gas mileage are just fine.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Fabulous50s

See that's why this forum is great!

Come to think of it, all I did was take the tag off and bring it to my favorite parts store. They had the kit in stock for $22. I soaked all the pieces in my carb bucket for a few nights and reassembled. 352 fired and idled well, as it was by first start of this engine. Sat since 2002. I have yet to get it on the road, but it will be in July!

The original owner of this car had a wrecking yard for parts are a bit Frankenstein. I'm just looking to make a nice cruiser for the wife and kids. If a 2bbl isnt enough I'll look into getting another intake and carb. I've spent wayyyy too much money on her as it is!

I know this is for 57 Fords, so I've been a bit hesitant to post a lot of pictures, as mine is a 59.

59meteor

Quote from: Fabulous50s on 2020-06-21 19:34

I know this is for 57 Fords, so I've been a bit hesitant to post a lot of pictures, as mine is a 59.
My car is also a 59 (Tudor sedan), and so far nobodys tried to burn me at the stake, or welcome me with a drive by shooting (yet!) Great group of guys here, and I think they kinda tolerate 58s and 59 guys since our cars are mostly mechanically similar, and as long as we don`t do anything stupid or horrific, like install a chevy engine, or slap on a sunroof and big Ricer spoiler, I hope we can slide in under the radar. I can say that I have owned 3 57 Ford cars over the years, so that may help. What model do ya got?

Fabulous50s

Fairlane 500 Galaxie, 352 3speed column shift

This was a few weeks ago. It's more complete now.

I've gone through about 75% of the car. It will be a good driver, with a few modernizations.

Pertronix
Bosch 90amp alt
100% rewire, with under hood fuse/relay block
14 under dash fuses
Power breaks, with dual master
Electric fuel pump at the tank
Fuel return line
Rebuilt 9" rear (2.91 gears) it's a cruiser
All new lenses, led 1156 all around
Weatherstrip
Buffed all stainless, chrome, aluminum while off the car
14" radial Coker wide whites
100% front end parts

And all the other usual stuff for a car which has been sitting for 30 years.

rmk57

Quote from: 59meteor on 2020-06-21 23:55
My car is also a 59 (Tudor sedan), and so far nobodys tried to burn me at the stake, or welcome me with a drive by shooting (yet!) Great group of guys here, and I think they kinda tolerate 58s and 59 guys since our cars are mostly mechanically similar, and as long as we don`t do anything stupid or horrific, like install a chevy engine, or slap on a sunroof and big Ricer spoiler, I hope we can slide in under the radar. I can say that I have owned 3 57 Ford cars over the years, so that may help. What model do ya got?

The reason we keep you around is for your expertise in the FE engine. It surely isn't for that four headlight tank your building.  :003:

Is it going to be finished this year?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Quote from: rmk57 on 2020-06-22 21:12
  The reason we keep you around is for your expertise in the FE engine. It surely isn't for that four headlight tank your building.  :003:

Is it going to be finished this year?
Sure hope so Randy! Now that I am retired, and have a great shop to work in, I have been getting more done in the last few months than the previous 15 years! Hoping to finish installing the stainless trim this week, then out to get the exhaust done.  Kinds doubt the interior will get done by Summer, but I hope to be driving it in July. I could post a few pics, but not sure how well a 4 eyed "ugly sister" of the 57s would be received.

djfordmanjack

I think most guys on this board are diehard Ford fans and we have all had different years and models before. 58s and 59s are definitely part of the family, imho. so don't be shy to post. I have a 59 grill that I'd like to put on my 57 DelRio one day.
Those additional vacc ports came in the time when all the smog control equipment started in the late 60s. I believe some of it is for idle advance for hot engine condition. A D2 code would be a 72 model, no ?

rmk57

Rory, your not going to upset the apple cart here. I'm sure most here would like to see the progress on your Custom. Isn't retirement great!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Fabulous50s

Well then, I'll do a build thread on the ugly 4 eyed little sister!