News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A/C Update

Started by lalessi1, 2020-07-04 10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

A while back I put together an underdash A/C system in my car. It worked briefly and not very well at that. I decided to revisit my "specs" and put forth the effort to revisit the whole thing. I had decided back then to use an early Mustang evaporator and I bought a Sanden 508 clone on eBay. The evaporator was rebuilt and cosmetically restored but I didn't like that the fittings were not the o-ring type. I have since found out that the Sanden no longer makes the 508 as it was originally designed for R12. I was not sure about my compressor's suitability for R134a. To top that off the mechanic that charged the system originally could not get the pressures right and he WAY over charged the system so I was not sure if any components were damaged...SO

I bought a Vintage Air Mark IV under dash evaporator. It is a replica of a 60's unit and has a metal case. It uses R134a refrigerant. it is smaller and blows more air.

I purchased another Sanden 508 clone compressor. It was black and it was designed for R134a.

I bought a set of manifold gauges, a vacuum pump, miscellaneous small tools, got a capacity from Vintage Air and watched You-Tube.

Yesterday I evacuated the system, put in 22oz of R134a and measured a vent temp of 45 degrees. So far so good...  8)
Lynn

fdlrc

I put that same unit in my 65 Mustang years ago. It worked great.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco