312 flexible fuel line from supply to fuel pump internal diameter mismatch

Started by oldschoolcustom300, 2020-08-07 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolcustom300

Hello again, back working on my 312 Mercury in my 53 F100 again, put a new replacement fuel pump in and ordered a replacement flexible fuel hose from the main line to the pump from Dennis Carpenter. Part 1A 9288 A, supposed to fit 51 - 56 Ford Truck and 51 - 59 Ford Car, fittings and length are ok, but internal diameter at the fittings is a fraction of the size of the one I took off, worried about fuel flow being too restrictive.  Should I use this and not worry or should I drill the new one out?  I checked multiple suppliers, seems to be the same hose as the one I bought from all of them. Anybody experienced this issue?
Thanks

djfordmanjack

that sure doesn't look right imho !
I wonder about the inner diameter of the actual hose and where it slips on the end fittings and how much you could drill out the brass.

since this is the vaccuum side of the pump, that is a huge restriction and may very well cause ( unwanted) vapor lock  or fuel starvation at higher rpms.

It's emberassing how the aftermarket cannot come up with a proper fuel hose. the replacement in my 57 is already cracked, but not leaking yet. I have hose fittings and a piece of hose  and clamps in car, prepared to replace it on the road anytime soon.

CobraJoe

The other thing I would be concerned about is if you drill out the fitting, will there be enough material left to hold it together?
Might be worth returning it and just have one made.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ford Blue blood

Given the rate fuel would be burned I have to say it will work fine.  Not like you'll be turning 5000 RPM for an extended amount of time, (if at all ever). 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

oldschoolcustom300

Thanks for the observations, I decided to put it in first and see how it would do since for the moment I just need the engine to start and run.  It seems to work fine, new pump is putting out plenty of pressure and flow, now I have to fix the outlet pipe which doesn't want to seal so I'll be replacing that today.  I will also go to one of the industrial hose outfits, maybe the Parker store and see if they can duplicate the original.

cokefirst

Quote from: oldschoolcustom300 on 2020-08-07 21:23
Hello again, back working on my 312 Mercury in my 53 F100 again, put a new replacement fuel pump in and ordered a replacement flexible fuel hose from the main line to the pump from Dennis Carpenter. Part 1A 9288 A, supposed to fit 51 - 56 Ford Truck and 51 - 59 Ford Car, fittings and length are ok, but internal diameter at the fittings is a fraction of the size of the one I took off, worried about fuel flow being too restrictive.  Should I use this and not worry or should I drill the new one out?  I checked multiple suppliers, seems to be the same hose as the one I bought from all of them. Anybody experienced this issue?
Thanks

This is an example of combining part to fit more vehicles.  The truck flex line has the same fittings but is 11" in length according to the Ford parts book.  It has a Ford part number of B6C 9288-A (I think, working from memory) and the 1A 9288-A is 9" in length and is for the passenger car.  I have found that the replacement hoses are of very poor quality.  I purchased some from a reputable Ford restoration parts supplier and found that the rubber turns mushy after a year or so of this alcohol mixed fuel.  I found a place in Maine that makes the hoses and uses a hose that is compatible with the current fuel.  I have purchased them and I should know in a year or so if they are any better.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed