News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Reverse Sear

Started by lalessi1, 2020-08-19 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Cobra Joe's "supper" pic besides making me hungry, made me want to share something I picked up a couple of years ago... the concept of "reverse searing" a large piece of meat. Basically you grill a steak like the "tomahawk" in the pic at 225 degrees to an internal temp of around 125 or a little more depending on degree of doneness desired and THEN you sear it for a couple of minutes per side on a VERY hot grill. The results are a perfectly evenly cooked piece of meat as juicy as it can be. The thicker the steak the better the result. I have a Weber kettle that I bought a "Slow 'n' Sear" for this purpose. The thing will let you cook for 6-8 hours at 225 degrees.
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Lynn, are you referring to a gas or charcoal grill OR a griddle when you say........."on a VERY hot grill"? The reason I ask is there was a restaurant outside of Lafayette that cooked outstanding steaks, and part of the process was cooking on a griddle. Can't recall the name of the restaurant, but they did a lot of business with the "Oil Field Crowd".
Thanks
John

lalessi1

I was talking about charcoal. You can do it on certain gas grills (infrared?). Not familiar with the place in Lafayette
Lynn