News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Disc brake addition

Started by Buckaroo, 2020-09-10 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo

I have a 57 Ford Fairlane with a 390 and also has the electric motor added for the windshield wipers.  I am looking at a kit for power front disc brakes.  It seems there is not room for a standard booster so they recommend a hydroboost or electric boost.  Both are expensive.  Can anyone shed some light on these boosters or maybe other options.  If I add front discs without power boost how much pedal pressure will be required?  More than my drum?

RICH MUISE

I've got a Mustang hydroboost on my '57 with the (very wide) 4.6 dohc. As far as I'm concerned, the hydroboost in all it's uglyness was a blessing in disguise. They make for a great braking system with the discs, and other members here with the system will agree. I got mine used off a 2002 Mustang Cobra. I believe it's 2001 Mustang and earlier that have a too-small of a cylinder. just a head's up, but I'm pretty sure only the Mustang 4.6 powered cars will have the hydroboost.
With that said, I don't recall any members with 390s not having room for a power vacumn booster.?
We have a thread in the brake booster section on hydroboost: http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7346.0
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Buckaroo

Thank you for your response.  I would love to go with just a normal power booster.  I believe most are about 8" around.  I may try to mock one up out of cardboard and see how tight it is.

lalessi1

I have a Wilwood conversion, Dynalite 4 piston calipers, no power. I am using a '67 Galaxie master  for a car with front discs and drum rears, non power. I like mine and I don't consider the pedal pressure too high. I have '57 power brake booster kit that puts the booster under the dash but I have not installed it, not sure I will...
Lynn

59meteor

I`m like Lynn, my 59 Tudor has Wilwood front disc brakes (11" rotors, 4 piston calipers), with drums out back. I am using a master cylinder from a Maverick with manual disc brakes, and I don`t find the manual brakes an issue at all. I have manual steering as well, with a 428 CJ FE, and I like the clean, uncluttered look under the hood, without a brake booster or PS pump.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

DanTudor57

I've run a few different configuration on my '57 tudor, 312 Y Block, zero options otherwise.

My first try with the disc brake conversion was to simply go with the Granada swap. It was okay. I used the stock late 70's Granada manual master.

Next I moved to 11 inch wilwood rotors with 4 piston aluminum machined calipers, the "Mustang II setup" on Granada spindles and ran the stock brakes on the back. I ran this setup with same Granada non-power master cylinder.  It stopped well and I would have stayed with this If I had not picked up a huge stash of  wilwood components on a yBlock trade.

Next I added the 10 inch rear rotors, 4 piston wilwood calipers with spot caliper parking brake (wilwood's hot rod kit). I upgraded to a Granada Taxi manual MC. It had a different bore for dual disc application,  apparently found on the heavy duty Granada vehicles used for taxis (?).  Moved away from this pretty quick as the 11 inch front and 10 inch rears made little sense when i had a 13 inch kit sitting in the garage.

Next, my current configuration...  I moved back to stock Spindles and went with  Wilwood 13 inch rotors/6 piston calipers ("Big mustang kit") on the front and the same 10 inch rear end kit.  I use a wilwood sourced  manual master cylinder that is 100% MOPAR OEM -- I have no idea why Wilwood sells this MC, perhaps they make it?  It is an aluminum body with a plastic reservoir, clearly marked with MOPAR and matching icons.    The Pedal pressure feels almost identical to  the original 4 drum brakes. I noticed no difference on pedal pressure, but absolutely feel the braking power.

The MC cylinder bore and rod length were  key to pedal feel across caliper configurations. If I had to do it all over, I would have purchased an adjustable push rod from the get go. I went through a few MCs that ranged from 7/8 to possibly 1 1/4 (?) Some of them were Drum/Disc and some were disc/disc applications. It's been a while...  When i began playing with the setups, picked up at least a dozen different pushrods from the local pick UR Part. They came out of all makes and models. Believe me I swapped those out like dirty socks to find the correct feel for each configuration....  I have no idea what size I settled on. I wish I had kept better notes.

I'm moving off the hot rod rear kit, and going to the early mustang (64-67) 11 inch rotors and 4 piston forged calipers with integrated drum brake (back to that original trade where I ended up with a truckload of wilwood components... ) . As part of my coming upgrade,  I'm also moving off the mopar manual MC and moving to a Wilwood aluminum MC on a mustang hydroboost. Luckily I do have a few wilwood MCs with differing bores.  One thing is for sure, before I start this next project, I'm going to pick up an adjustable rod...

Buckaroo

Thank you for all the input. If I use a master cylinder for a disc/drum car I will not have to add the additional adjustable valve?  I have received so many different answers from suppliers,  Yes a power booster will fit or no it won't.  This car had a frame off many years ago but was never put on the road.  We want to drive it  Take it to Back to the 50s and Cruising the Coast.  We added front power disc to our 65 Mustang and love it.  Wife must feel comfortable and feel safe driving it.  Right now leaning toward non power front discs.  Thanks again for all the information.

DanTudor57

Proportioning valve -- Right..

When I was running Granada front disc, rear '57 stock drum, I used the stock, non-adjustable proportioning valve that came from the donor Granada vehicle and MC.

When I move to wildwood componentes, I immediately went to a wilwood proportioning valve. Their basic turn knob unit. Each time i swapped any components I ran multiple hard stop sequences to adjust the valve.

RICH MUISE

I'm surprised no one here with a 390 has responded with pics.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Buckaroo

True, photos would really help.  So many different opinions whether a normal power booster will fit in the car.  If you have a 57 with a 390 and electric wipers please share a photo of your power booster and how much room you have.  Thanks

ROKuberski

Although I have a stock 292, I guess I can throw in my 2 cents worth.

I originally bought a 7" vacuum booster kit, (I still have it and you can have it cheap) but it never gave me the braking power I needed.   My setup is the Wilwood Mustang based unit on stock spindles with 14" Granada wheels.  The rivets on the stock rims will hit the calipers.  A snap to install the Wilwood kit.  I have a late '60's master cylinder from a Galaxie that had disk/drum brakes.  I have a hydroboost unit from a mid '70's full size Ford.  I was able to use the hydroboost unit after I put in power steering.  This made a gigantic difference in braking.  It stops just like a modern car.  I did have to install the hydroboost unit upside down so it would clear the exhaust manifold, but it works fine either way.  The added piping for power steering and hydroboost brakes makes it hard to change the #8 plug, but it is possible.  I also have an adjustable valve installed and did a bunch of tests with different settings.  I currently have it set so that it is doing nothing.

At first I thought that with the non power master cylinder designed for disk/drum brakes on a full size car that it would work fine.  It did not.  Too much pedal pressure was needed to stop the car. 

I bought my hydroboost unit from Rockauto for about $130, no core required.  I was not able to locate a unit in local salvage yards.  That era of cars have all gone to the big melting pot.

Go to about 3:40 on this video to see the install of the brakes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0yd0-9HpCk

Good luck.

Rich

Buckaroo

Thank you for the info.  And the video was terrific.  Excellent!

sprink88

My 57 had a blown bellows on the power brakes. I ended up buying a booster and kit off eBay.  I believe it was the 7" booster style. I had nothing but problems getting the right feel so I just took the booster off and have used the master cylinder alone.  I like how they feel.  Excuse the mess, I have since cleaned everything up!
~Chris

sprink88

Crap.  Wrong one.  Sorry
~Chris

Buckaroo

Thank you.  I am thinking about going with teh front disc set up and new master cylinder, no booster.  I can always add it later.