News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What is the height of a hardtop windshield?

Started by greaseball, 2020-09-21 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

Looks like I need a replacement front windshield, anyone know what the height is on these?
I thought it was like, 17.5 inches or so?
I think the post's and wagons were taller, is that correct?

Thank you

RICH MUISE

Depends on the model. Customs are taller at 17", that should include Rancheros and wagons. Fairlanes are shorter at 16", but I think there may be a difference between hardtops, retracs, and convertibles. I know this because the first windshield I ordered for my Custom was too short..they had sent a Fairlane windshield, and I never checked it. 5 years later when I went to install, it wouldn't fill the opening. It had been so long I had to eat it. Sold it to Acrylic Man from Houston.....hadn't heard from him for years..he got wiped out twice with the Houston floods.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

There are (4) windshields in the parts book, (2) tinted and (2) clear. Two fit body styles 51A,57,58,63,64, and 76. The other two fit body styles 59,66,70,73,78, and 79. The latter are taller. The body style is part of the serial number.
Lynn

oldave57

I recently replaced the windshield on my 1957 Retractable (purchased new windshield from Auto City Classics).  The windshield (at the center) measures about 15.25" from the inside of the rubber moulding at top and bottom of the glass, so the actual glass height is probably close to 16".  The Auto City website shows that the Hardtops and Retractables use the same windshield.  The Auto City website link is listed below:

https://www.autocityclassic.com/1957-1958-ford-fairlane-4dr-sedan/1957-1958-ford/edsel-windshield-w486/

Good Luck with your windshield installation. 
Dave

greaseball

Thanks guys.

Gosh, my buddy assured me it'd fit.
But when the opening is around 16" and the glass is 18.25" (!!!), I think I'll need shorter glass.

Hope he'll trade back  bawl

RICH MUISE

if it's 18 1/4, it is NOT for a '57 Ford, maybe a '57 something else
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

I have a  Ranchero windshield that is out of the car and it measures at the center 17 1/4" tall.
If you need any other measurements, just let me know.
John

Ford Blue blood

Got my Ranchero windshield from my buddy in TH.  He had it for years, just as a replacement for his 500 should it suffer a hit.  When he decided to trim his "parts house" down I helped him move stuff around.  Saw the "Fairlane 500" (written on the top of the windshield) glass and asked about it after I had measured the height, (One dollar bills are a rch over 6") and saw it was pretty tall.  Turns out it was the wrong label, he gave it to me and it now lives happily ever after in it's new home.

So yes, 17 1/4" is dead on for the "small" series.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2020-09-22 04:33
I have a  Ranchero windshield that is out of the car and it measures at the center 17 1/4" tall.
If you need any other measurements, just let me know.
John

This windshield is for sale...........Clear Glass, PPG Replacement, Excellent condition $50.00 Pick Up in Louisville Ky.

Lou

I have a used original, make offer, pick up only, Milford, Ct

greaseball

Thanks for the offers guys, I got to see if my buddy will trade back 1st :003:
And I'm in Northern California, with no plans to cross any state lines soon!