News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE 390 conversion to replace Y-Block 292

Started by GhostMachine, 2020-11-17 15:01

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostMachine

I am PLANNING of putting a FE 390 into my 57 Ford 300... I want to keep the 3 shift on the column.   I currently have a 292.... Just looking for any information that will assist me in these areas, or something I may encounter that we should look at... appreciate all of your comments....

Any advice...

Bell Housing
Headers... Thinking FPA shorty's
Motor Mounts..
Will the current Radiator work...
Throttle Linkage...

Thanks for your help..... 

Ford Blue blood

Any FE bell with the "narrow" transmission bolt pattern will work. 
Many threads on here about headers.  I'm a cast manifold person myself.
Stock 58 Ford or the stock 57 292 mounts.
Yes
Too many variables to give a definitive answer to that one.

This is as close to a bolt-in as you will ever get.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I have done that swap using the stock 3 speed arrangement. My advice is to use the stock exhaust manifolds to start. Add headers later if you feel like they will help.The improved performance is remarkable. I used all '58 parts (that were different) but they were readily available. In my case it was a complete bolt in.
Lynn

GhostMachine

Thank-you very much for all of your information.....

Ford Blue blood

A little extra info from an old timer hot rodder.  Might be unsolicited but I'll offer it up any how.

Everybody has a preconceived notion of the "best" and "must have" for a build.  9" rear ends are a good example.  Almost any rear end will work and last forever even with a mild to middle amount of abuse on the street.  Unless you are building an off the charts engine with a manual transmission and run really sticky tires the stock 57 rear (which is not overly strong) will last a life time.

Next are headers.  The FE will fit in the engine bay without having to use headers.  Headers are a nice performance addition with a combination of cam, head work, ignition and intake/carburetor matching.  They really begin to work above 3000 RPM.  Below that they are pretty much just exhaust manifolds.  They do offer the possibility of numerous opportunities for problems like leaks, clearance issues and under hood heat.

Again these are just my opinions with respect to building a fun street car that you can start, drive, park and not worry about "what do I have to do to drive it again".  Good luck with the build, remember, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-11-18 09:39
A little extra info from an old timer hot rodder.  Might be unsolicited but I'll offer it up any how.

Everybody has a preconceived notion of the "best" and "must have" for a build.  9" rear ends are a good example.  Almost any rear end will work and last forever even with a mild to middle amount of abuse on the street.  Unless you are building an off the charts engine with a manual transmission and run really sticky tires the stock 57 rear (which is not overly strong) will last a life time.

Next are headers.  The FE will fit in the engine bay without having to use headers.  Headers are a nice performance addition with a combination of cam, head work, ignition and intake/carburetor matching.  They really begin to work above 3000 RPM.  Below that they are pretty much just exhaust manifolds.  They do offer the possibility of numerous opportunities for problems like leaks, clearance issues and under hood heat.

Again these are just my opinions with respect to building a fun street car that you can start, drive, park and not worry about "what do I have to do to drive it again".  Good luck with the build, remember, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

I agree 110%! My comment about "the improved performance is remarkable" was intended to reference the swap, not the addition of headers. On a stock engine headers actually do very little.
Lynn

GhostMachine

Thank-you.... much....

59meteor

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2020-11-18 11:28
I agree 110%! My comment about "the improved performance is remarkable" was intended to reference the swap, not the addition of headers. On a stock engine headers actually do very little.
I have to disagree about headers doing "very little" on a stock engine. Regular FE exhaust manifolds are about as restrictive as any, and the exhaust manifolds for a 58-59 Ford are about the worst of those. I used to haul my drag car to & from the track on a 1974 F350 with a basically stock low compression 390 4 barrel several years, engine from 1976 F250. After dealing with 3 cracked factory exhaust manifolds over several years, I installed a set of Hedman headers. The improvement was quite remarkable, even though I rarely revved it over 3500 RPM, and never over 4500. Acceleration was much improved, everywhere, I could climb hills in 4th gear that previously required downshifting to 3rd, plus gas mileage improved by over 1 full MPG. 1 MPG may not sound like much, but when you are going from 9 MPG to close to 10 1/2, thats over 10%. I had that set of Hedmans on my truck for 14 years, and never had any exhaust leaks, other than I replaced 1 collector gasket. I have the FPA headers on my 428CJ powered 59 2 door sedan, and although I have only put about 1500 miles on the car since I got it on the road this summer, the headers have been flawless. No way would I ever consider putting those cast iron corks back on. By the way, the drivers side  stock exhaust manifold on my 59s 332 was erroded away at the front flange where it meets the cylinder head. It was so badly eroded it was beyond resurfacing. Over the years, I have had far more problems with Ford cast iron exhaust manifolds than I ever had with headers. I installed my first set of headers on my old 70 Mustang back in 1976, and I have never put headers on any of my vehicles where I didn`t find them a great investment, although some cars like my 428CJ Mustangs, they are a royal PITA to install. The FPAs on my 59 were a breeze by comparison. Now, if you don`t care at all about performance, thats up to you.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.