News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Toploader Experts....

Started by Fabulous50s, 2021-02-13 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

This is a pic of 3 speed shaft to show location of desired speedo gear location.

This is measured from the very end where the bearing is.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Fabulous50s

4 speed O/D shaft for refrence. Sure looks the same as a non O/D shaft to me. Other than the small area machined away where 3rd (now O/D) would be. I assume this is for improved oiling of the faster spinning gear.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Fabulous50s

Does anyone have a 4 speed shaft they could lend me for fitment? I'll pay shipping both ways!

Or I can mike the gear races and map out all the critical dimensions and compare.

The place I got this transmission from just wants to sell me more complete transmissions at $3-500 each.

lalessi1

There are at least 2 different long mainshafts, they are different WRT where the speedo gear is located. David Kee makes one with both locations.
Lynn

SkylinerRon

There are at least four different long output shafts and housings.

Ron.

Fabulous50s

Other than number of gears (speeds), speedo drive location, and spline count, what are the differences?

I got yet another overdrive transmission, this one from a wrecked van. It has the "truck" gear ratios. Same output shaft. Case has 3 broken ears where it bolts to the bell.