News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1958 B&W Movie featuring '57s when they were new

Started by fliptop, 2008-10-14 17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

fliptop

I thought you folks might enjoy this. The 1958 Robert Mitchum movie, "Thunder Road" is available on DVD! I found it at our local library. It was nice to see all those '57s running around back when they were new. The movie production company must have gotten a good deal from Ford because there were several '57s. Lots of other older cars also.

Tony in New Braunfels, TX
Have fun!  Tony in TX

Lou

There are at least 2 factory supercharged 57s in that picture, including the one he's driving. When he in the mobs garage look behind him, the is a complete factory supercharged engine on the hoist. I often wondered what color Mitchums car was in that picture, I'm thinking it was Mocca Brown and White, as black does not phoagraph well on black and white film.

Check this out, scroll down to "FUN STUFF"  <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052293/>

fliptop

Hey Lou,

Thanks for posting that web site. I spent waaaaaaay too much time there, but really enjoyed it. OK, now I have to get the DVD again and use the freeze frame to check out a few things. Hey, I'm retired and deserve a little indulgence ...  :002:

Tony Colbert in New Braunfels, TX
Have fun!  Tony in TX

BAMA_57

Hey Lou, how could we find out about the color of his '57. My car came Mocha and white. I was thinking changing the color but A tribute to THUNDER ROAD would be an intersting idea. I bought the DVD on eBay for $6.
Ron
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Lou

Ron, I have never been able to find out what the color of the car was, but I  also have thought about building a clone, but the suppercharger parts are way over my budget. I haven seen the movie in 15 years, time to put it on my Netflix list.

Lou

Here some 57s for you guys can  look for in the Perry Mason TV show. In at least one episode, maybe more Perry Mason is driving a 57 Retrackable and Paul Drake is driving a 57 Fairlane 500 Victoria, In another Perry has the 57 retackable and Paul has a 57 Bird. The episodes filmed in 1957 Mason drove several different cars. Starting in late 1957 Mason drove only a Caddy with one exception in 1958 in one episode he drives a solid black 58 Retrackable, and I think Paul drake has a light color 58 T-Bird.

Hoosier Hurricane

Lou:

Where in the movie does it picture the engine with a blower?  In the shot of Luke and Robin prepping the car, it clearly has the D code air filter, not a supercharger bonnet.  I don't recall any other open hood shots of the car.

John

Lou

John: Is been at least 15 years sence I seen the movie, I could be mistaken. I was lead to belive that there were 2 cars used in the movie, one was a single carb car (the one that gets wrecked, twice) and the other was a SC car that was used in the action shots. My information was based on a article in a car magazine I read years ago. I'm going to get the movie from Netflix and watch it again.

BAMA_57

I watched Thunder Road last night and I didn't see a super charger anywhere. And the colors on the '57 seem too light to be Mocha... maybe somthing in the mid tones like medium blue or green...?
Ron
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

enthusiastm

I like that most colors can be imagined as the movie car in black and white, but still I did way too much research trying to find out the color of the actual car anyway. Based on lighting and contrast tests, which included screen captures of the interior, I strongly believe both cars used in the filming were Cumberland Green and Willow Green Style Tone. My references are posted on the 1957 Ford Fans page of FaceBook. https://www.facebook.com/1957FordAuthority/photos/a.225475440977782.1073741829.180415625483764/318554221669903/?type=1&theater

Ecode70D

In the movie , Lucas Doolin's  little brother Robin Doolin was actually  played by
James (Jim) Mitchum who in real life is the son of Robert Mitchum. 

Jim is busy these days getting a new business started.   I believe the business is called Thunder Road Distillery .  His business partner is a friend of mine so I'll get a message to him to find out what color the 57 Ford actually was.   They are also working on getting a Thunder Road Tv series started.

This could take a little time.   When I find out, I'll let you guys know the answer. 
  Jay

lalessi1

Well this thread just cost me $20. I HAD to buy the DVD.... :003:
Lynn

Ecode70D

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-08-21 05:41
Well this thread just cost me $20. I HAD to buy the DVD.... :003:

Lynn
     If you like old cars and 57 Fords, that is going to be money well spent because you will be looking at it several times. 
   The email has already been sent requesting the 57 color. Jay   

lalessi1

I saw the movie at the drive in with my parents when I was 10 or so, I watched it again on TV as a teenager. It gave me a strange almost magic feeling then that I still can't put in words....looking forward to seeing it again, thanks.
Lynn

Ecode70D

This is the answer to the color question. Note also that I had mentioned earlier on another post about Mitchum's  57 having a Lincoln engine.   It was mentioned again in this email that I just received about the color.   The 50 that he's talking about is the clone to the one that got blown up in the film .  Somewhere I have pics of Jim pouring out a cup of shine from the rear of the clone car.

Jay:
It's good to hear from you. Yes, the summer is slipping away but with the hot weather we have had down South I am ready for some fall weather. I have not driven my 50 much this summer and don't have any set plans for the fall; however, Oct. is the best month for tours and car shows down here. The distillery in Tennessee is up and running.   As for the Lucas Doolin 57, I have heard Jim say that as he recalls the Ford was either beige and green or light green and darker green. He said that his dad had a deal with Ford Motor Co. to furnish cars for the movie and the 57 supposedly had a Lincoln Y block engine that made it a real runner. If you can find Ford's paint chips used in 1957 you may be able to figure out the two tone combination. Take care and keep the wheels on the ground!