News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

coil springs

Started by Flyby, 2021-03-08 14:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyby

Hi I am looking for a good set of coil springs for the front of my country sedan wagon. It has the original 312 with power steering. My original springs were cut long ago by someone and I am going to use dropped spindles so need original springs. thanks

KULTULZ

EATON SPRING - https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ - was the original supplier to FORD. They are a class act, expensive but they can give you stock or any modification you want.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2021-03-08 18:17
EATON SPRING - https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ - was the original supplier to FORD. They are a class act, expensive but they can give you stock or any modification you want.
Agreed, I bought my new front coils in my 59 from Eaton Detroit, they have numerous springs available, based on your application.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

That's where mine came from. JFYI, if I remember correctly, Eaton has 3 off the shelf coil springs available for our '57s. As a comparison, Ford actually used 9 different coil springs depending on drivetrain and accessories, so that all '57s left the factory with the same ride height. The 3 Eaton's has available without a special order should get you pretty close, but depends a lot on your drivetrain. I got the lightest ones Eaton had available, was told they should be pretty close, but in reality, my car looked like a gasser when I first put it together due to the light weight of my 4.6 drivetrain (aluminum block, heads, intake, tranny). After driving it for a while to settle the springs in, I disassembled and cut a calculated amount. Some extra work, but whatyagonnado?

For rear springs, btw, most of us here have used McVae's (sp?)Truck Springs. Their contact info is in our supplier listings.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

ich, on my 59, the nose also sits a bit higher than I would like. I chose Y Block front  springs, since I figured with the aluminum intake, water pump, and radiator, my 428 would be a fair bit lighter than the 332 was. I would like to drop the nose about an inch, but not looking forward to pulling all that nicely painted stuff apart to cut maybe 1/2 coil off. I bought my rear leaf springs from a local spring shop, but they had McVeigh stickers on them when the showed up. Very happy with the rear ride height.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Lynn was the one that did the math for me to figure out how much to cut off the springs. If I remember correctly, whatever you cut off will approx. double that with the drop. Cut 1/2" (NOT 1/2coil) to get approx 1" drop. They will settle, I'm guessing yours has been driven enough to do that.?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

On my 59, yes, it should be fully settled by now, I believe. 2000 miles of driving it since July, plus a 3000 mile train ride, followed by another 1000 miles by transport truck during our coast to coast move. Now, as for cutting the coils, really, only remove a total of 1/2" from the open end of each spring, should drop the nose a full inch?

SkylinerRon

1/2 a coil should get you 1" drop.

Good luck,

Ron.