News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Re installing swift sure brake booster

Started by abe_lugo, 2021-04-04 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

abe_lugo

See image   Does the mount on the firewall use nuts on the side facing out to hold the bolts upright?
This would hit the firewall on the inside.  I removed this so long ago I not sure.  Going back to swift sure. Using the 1-1/8 dual master.

Well I mounted without the nuts. 
I need to get some fittings to get it all buttoned up in the plumbing. 

I had to pull the gearbox.  Separate project might was well do while I'm in the space and I make for easier brake line work. 
Putting the parts car steering gearbox and will be going back to column shift  after many years. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

brushwolf

Those 2 holes were attached to the floor/firewall originally but not with bolts. Just 1/2" hex head sheet metal screws run in from inside the car and so the pointed ends originally do stick into the engine compartment. Somebody changed it to bolts on the one pictured. Those are probably bolts that held the MC on, and nuts that held the booster flange to the pedal bracket under the dash, so those would be the same thread.

I have a couple parts cars with Swift Sure boosters that have undisturbed brake systems and both have sheet metal screws in those 2 holes. Installed a Swift Sure booster in my 57 just now that did not come with power brakes. There were pre-punched factory indents in the firewall which showed where to drill the holes for the big screws from the firewall side. And there was no spacer between the floor and that booster flange which those nuts on there would in effect be.

However, since I also did not want screw or bolt ends sticking into the engine compartment either (motor swapped to 351c) I drilled the pre-marked firewall holes and ran some shorter bolts through from the firewall side instead and put nuts on the inside.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ecode70D

There is one more important thing that you should know.  When you drill the holes on the inner fender shield for the SS brake vacuum
tank,  feel around and you will feel the two depressions for the proper location to drill the two holes.   There is only one correct location.
Every left inner fender has the two depressions whether it it has power brakes or not.   

lalessi1

I bought a kit with original Fomoco instructions for installation. If anybody needs it I may be able to figure out a way to share.... There are dimples in my inner fender. Very visible from the underside.
Lynn

KULTULZ

QuoteIf anybody needs it I may be able to figure out a way to share....

:thumbsup:

If you could scan and convert it to a PDF and post it here, I for one would surely appreciate it ...  :006:
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN