News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Quick steering

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-06-03 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I am finally able to drive my 57 RHT. However the steering is very quick. I scars the hell out of me at 70 mph. It has stock pullys on pump and  crank. [312]  I have never had to deal with this before, is the pressure valve the problem and if so is it fixable. or replaceable  with?. Thanks Alvin

gasman826

There are different size pulleys for the Eaton pumps.

What's the alignment settings?

alvin stadel

Gary that is part of my problem. Right now the pullys align perfectly. I thought I would put a larger pully on the pump but as it is right now I have less than a 1/2 in. clearence between the pully and the tank, I have 2 or 3 other  pumps and was thinking of just changing  out the valves.  As I get older I am always looking for the easy way, but not always the best way out.

Rancher

I'm guessing this is original type PS with an assist cylinder on the steering linkage, not an integral gear upgrade?

With the pump's simple integral flow-control-valve the problem is probably not one of too much fluid flow or pressure. If the pump's output wasnt limited, there'd probably be pump stalling and belt burning, which we haven't heard about.

What happens to the "quick" steering  if the engine is idled while driving at the critical  speed?

How about at low speed or stopped, if the engine is revved does steering boost seem way above normal, allowing fingertip steering?