Know how many 57 or 58 Fords produced with power brakes AND manual trans?

Started by brushwolf, 2021-06-25 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

Never seen one... Were any made originally with that combo? 
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ecode70D

My 2 dr. custom is standard shift with Ford Swift Sure power brakes. 
      Many years ago I did see another one.  It was a 57 4 door custom standard shift police car with factory dual quad Y block and the 
      Swift Sure power brakes.   It's hard to spot them because most of the parts are under the dashboard except for the vacuum tank that
is mounted under the left front fender.   

brushwolf

Do your clutch and brake pedal sit the same distance from the floor?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ecode70D

No   The brake pedal is lower than the clutch pedal and it came a silver like color unlike the clutch which is black.  So
when you look at my pedals assemblies, they look like they are mismatched.  I suppose that if someone didn't like the different
colors, they could  paint the Swift Sure assembly black
     I'll try to get Cobra Joe or some other smart person to post a picture of mine.   Jay

brushwolf

Looks like this roughly? Clutch pedal sitting several more inches off the floor? 

I have multiple Swift Sure assemblies. Some still in cars, several in boxes. Every power brake arm assembly is the same, but they all came from or are in cars with automatic transmissions.  I unbolted the wide pedal and bolted on this narrow one that was a NOS pedal listed on Ebay about 15 years ago as being for a 50's Ford truck with manual trans and Swift Sure power brakes. Only pedal like this I have ever seen.. Same as yours?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

lalessi1

That is what mine looks like. The swift sure pedals on automatics were wide.
Lynn

brushwolf

Yep, wide brake pedals on everything with automatic trans.  Just no stainless Swift Sure trim for cars not having power brakes. Your pedals sit like mine too with clutch a ways higher off the floor?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ecode70D

That's the way mine looks also, complete with the narrow SS brake pedal.   I know a guy with a 58 Ford that has an automatic transmission and factory power brakes and his pedal is close to the floor just like mine.

brushwolf

Well I guess if that is how they looked from the factory when they had power brakes and manual transmission I can leave it as it is. Lots of other stuff to work on, so this is good to know...
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

CobraJoe

Jay asked me to post this pic of his power brake set up :

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

Ford Blue blood

I suppose their are probably a bunch of odd combos out there given the way cars were ordered and everything but the air inside them was an option.  Point being, the Custom I parted several years ago (frame broke in half while jacking to go under the get the engine/trans pulled out) was a 292/manual/factory air car.  No radio, no power anything, just tinted glass.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

brushwolf

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2021-06-28 05:03
Jay asked me to post this pic of his power brake set up :

Thanks Jay and Joe..

That clutch pedal arm appears to sit lower and has a very thick pedal pad on it to boot, so they don't look as out of alignment with each other as mine do. There is an adjustable limiter with a rubber bumper on it for my clutch pedal but IDT even if adjusted to minimal rebound that they would look as close as that does. 

Was there possibly a different clutch pedal and arm arrangement used for cars ordered with PB and manual trans?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

About 2 inches below the column in that pic, the clutch arm appears to have a reverse arch back toward the floor too. None of the clutch arms I have exhibit that reverse arch. Compare the profile of the two clutch arms and ignore the pads and relative positioning. The arms appear different to me.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2021-06-28 06:37
I suppose their are probably a bunch of odd combos out there given the way cars were ordered and everything but the air inside them was an option.  Point being, the Custom I parted several years ago (frame broke in half while jacking to go under the get the engine/trans pulled out) was a 292/manual/factory air car.  No radio, no power anything, just tinted glass.......

Ordered by somebody who placed a premium on staying cool over anything else, no doubt.  But if the clutch was not done differently somehow along with the power brake option, then I should be able to make mine look closer to the pedal and arm profile Jay has since the PB part of the equation does not differ, except as to pedal width. So, that makes me wonder if the clutch was done differently on PB cars to bring back some semblance of symmetry.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

gasman826

Clutch pedal travel is for the clutch...it has no relationship with the brake pedal height other than it is a pedal run by your feet.  To lower the clutch pedal, the ratio would have to be altered.  If you alter the ratio, you won't be able to push the pedal down.  Every power brake car with a clutch has the power brake pedal lower than the clutch.  If you want the height to match, raise the brake pedal.  I've installed hydraulic boosters to have the clutch and brake pedal at the same height.