News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Request for Steering Committee to Convene

Started by Rancher, 2021-06-29 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancher

I'm in the middle of the preliminary study of '57 (manual now) steering  upgrade.

:deadhorse:
there  :005:

I'm considering three options:
A - First try a '58/'9 gear to see if that's enough of an improvement that the power upgrade is unnecessary.

B - Upgrading to a '60+ "rag joint" gear now, so that the change to a rag-joint connection would be done. Then, if it's necessary to go further, with either an integral power gear, or some other option, the rag-joint modification would be done.

C- To elaborate, that "some other option"  is an under-dash electric in-column booster.

This brings us to the punchline of this rambling, namely, concerns with strength of the pedal-hanger bracket to withstand additional loading.

There is not a lot of under-dash "structure," basically just the "pedal-hanger" brake/clutch support.

I wonder if the pedal-hanger could adequately resist the torque-reaction of an in-column booster?

Even to just mount a rag-joint column which would turn an integral hydraulic power gear, (thus normally not seeing much torque-reaction) I'm concerned that the pedal hanger is not robust enough to give the column a good solid feel.

Remember, the solid support now provided from the chassis via the original solid steering shaft and its tube will be lost.

After a good bit of trial, I'm almost convinced that today the electric in-column booster is the was to go. Biggest concern is the above point about hanger's ability to withstand reaction forces.

To sum things up for now,  I'm kindly asking for others' experiences with two things:

D-  Opinions as to the strength of the OE "pedal hanger" bracket to be able withstand the torque reaction loads that would be imparted by  an electric in-column booster?

E- For those who have cut their columns to add a rag-joint gear... how much extra "beef" had to be added to give the column a solid feel? Was it found that adequate added support could be provided by the pedal-hanger bracket?

Thanks in advance, all

gasman826

As to 'Option E'...I upgraded to a '64 Galaxie power steering including idler arm, drag link, steering box, pitman arm, assist cylinder, control valve, and column.  I also took the floor support from the donor car.  This supports the bottom of the column just above the rag joint.  The aftermarket supports the '64 Galaxie better than the '57...that is idler arm, control valve, rag joint, turn signal switch, steering wheel, shift detent and gear selection indicator.  The Galaxie column also supports three forward gear selection detents for 3 and 4 speed automatic transmissions.  The Galaxie box is a better box.  It had little to no wear because it had power assist all its life.  The gear ratio is the same.  The steering wheel is much smaller.

Rancher

Thanks Gasman.
I had to stop somewhere with my post, but I also have studied two "big" Mercs,  '60 and '64.

Good point that the '57 cowl's huge "window" to accommodate gear removal would no longer be necessary with a change to rag-joint. That area could become column support.

I couldn't find the  enthusiasm to revisit booster-cylinder steering; I may reconsider.

The '64 Merc column looked promising. No doubt similar to your '64 Ford donor. Has a neat 25th anniversary horn ring. Good point about aftermarket support.

Merc '60 has a nice "Sputnik" look to the column, but it's huge compared to '60 Ford column.

Don't ban me... I also looked over a '70s GM medium duty truck column. A nice "thrifty" basic column with the right look for '57. Correct diameter tube, bearing design that looked like it'd make tube easy to rework for length. GM truck steering wheel would have to go.

Rancher

I swiped a Googled image of a random someone's '60 Merc column that's already removed from the car.

I'm fumbling around checking fit-up potential of different gears.

Ford Blue blood

Give Borgeson a look.  Their kits are dead on, would require a rag joint.  I did not use one because I did not want a pump on the engine.  I have installed two of them in a 57 and a 66 Fairlane.  Bolt in kits except the column.

I used a 64 Galaxie manual box, pitman arm and rag joint.  Steers fairly easy, perfect on the road, just a little tight when going slow or stopped.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I have a Borgeson with a rag joint. I had to build a box at the column plate to make room. The '58 box helped a little with effort, nothing dramatic. The Borgeson box is less than 3 turns lock to lock. Effort is perfect IMHO.
Lynn

brushwolf

Quote from: Rancher on 2021-06-29 17:51
I'm in the middle of the preliminary study of '57 (manual now) steering  upgrade.

:deadhorse:
there  :005:

I'm considering three options:
A - First try a '58/'9 gear to see if that's enough of an improvement that the power upgrade is unnecessary.

B - Upgrading to a '60+ "rag joint" gear now, so that the change to a rag-joint connection would be done. Then, if it's necessary to go further, with either an integral power gear, or some other option, the rag-joint modification would be done.

C- To elaborate, that "some other option"  is an under-dash electric in-column booster.

This brings us to the punchline of this rambling, namely, concerns with strength of the pedal-hanger bracket to withstand additional loading.

There is not a lot of under-dash "structure," basically just the "pedal-hanger" brake/clutch support.

I wonder if the pedal-hanger could adequately resist the torque-reaction of an in-column booster?

Even to just mount a rag-joint column which would turn an integral hydraulic power gear, (thus normally not seeing much torque-reaction) I'm concerned that the pedal hanger is not robust enough to give the column a good solid feel.

Remember, the solid support now provided from the chassis via the original solid steering shaft and its tube will be lost.

After a good bit of trial, I'm almost convinced that today the electric in-column booster is the was to go. Biggest concern is the above point about hanger's ability to withstand reaction forces.

To sum things up for now,  I'm kindly asking for others' experiences with two things:

D-  Opinions as to the strength of the OE "pedal hanger" bracket to be able withstand the torque reaction loads that would be imparted by  an electric in-column booster?

E- For those who have cut their columns to add a rag-joint gear... how much extra "beef" had to be added to give the column a solid feel? Was it found that adequate added support could be provided by the pedal-hanger bracket?

Thanks in advance, all

I like the idea of the electric power steering. Not going to change the steering again on my 57 again, but may give it a try with a 56 Mercury I have. Pedal hanger brackets are pretty sturdy in a 57 though and there is a brace that goes to top of firewall under the dash. Plus the dash itself is pretty sturdy I think and bolts securely to the column. You could also put a sturdier floor/firewall plate where the column goes through the firewall as well.

No hoses, fluid, belts and pulleys to deal with. Appeals to me...

This is a 54 Ford electric steering install:  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/epas-install.1193648/

And another discussion of EPA

https://www.killbillet.com/forum/the-killbillet-technical-department/steering-brakes-axles-and-suspension-tech/728632-electric-power-steering-from-a-saturn-vue-into-54-ford-customline

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird