News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI Fuel Tank

Started by lalessi1, 2021-09-05 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

The Mark VIII fans pull some serious airlow. and the l x w is almost perfect for the '57 radiators. Problem might be the thickness at about 5"......I can verify if you want and post pics. Problem might be finding one in a scrap yard as many Mustang guys have switched over to the MK fans. New motors and connectors are available @ Rockauto. Amp requirements are high..I'm remembering 60ish, but I'd have to verify. I know the 30 amp relay in my Ron Francis harness was not big enough, but Ron Francis does make a neat relay package, which is what I used.
With all that said, ............You may not want the look of a modern plastic shroud.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

The aftermarket serpentine belt systems for FEs and 385s have a two belt designs.  The second belt takes up valuable real estate.  I had the same radiator in the same core support with similar shroud and fans (slightly bigger) and a 500 +/- HP engine.  Mine had a 185 degree thermostat and the low fan on was set to 205 and high fan on at 210.  Both off at 200 degrees.  With AC on, both on high.  The 16 lb radiator cap never popped...the over flow tank was dry.  High under hood temperatures could affect vapor lock but I'm leaning to the fuel pressure issue as a fuel system issue.  You have changed the fuel pump four times so maybe not a fuel pump problem.  With the AC on and fans on high, could there be a low voltage condition to the fuel pump?  So all the screens/filters have been checked.  The sock in the tank is not restricted.  The cap is venting so there is no vacuum in the tank.  The regulator isn't sticking and bypassing back to the tank.

RICH MUISE

"The cap is venting so there is no vacuum in the tank. "
not to change the subject, but are you using a vented cap in your Custom?

lalessi1

There may be a fuel tank pick up issue, the gauge showed empty but I am pretty sure there was at LEAST 3-4 gallons in the tank. I will put 5 gallons in the tank today and try again. The tank was replaced and probably hasn't had 10 fill ups on it. I did have water in the tank a few months back and was unsure how that happened. The last time I drove to the gas station a couple of weeks ago the gauge showed about an 1/8 of the tank but the fuel pressure was swinging as the car accelerated or was braking... I am using the original gas cap and the vent line is clear I believe. I have a newish fuel filter before the pump and a clear one before the carburetor. Don't think that is the issue.

I appreciate the thoughts. I will check those things. Gary are/were you running fuel injection?
Lynn

gasman826

My description and pictures are of the Raunch Wagon and has a carburetor.  My Custom has EFI.  The wagon requires a vented cap but the Custom has a vent tube with an unvented cap.  Little critters really like to build nests in the vent tube.  If the fuel level is low, an electric pump will get real erratic when it sucks up an air bubble.

hiball3985

The smallest pin hole in a pick up will cause suction loss if the fuel level goes below it..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

A vent issue............I cannot fill my tank without getting gas in the vent tube, and then it's like a siphon. Most of the issue is due to the fact I put the vent tube in the recessed mounting plate for the electric fuel pump, so the vent tube is under gas level when the tank nears full. I wished I had kept the oem located vent tube outlet on my new tank when I installed it, but I didn't knowing I was going to put the aftermarket tip over vent valve in, I trimmed of the tube for the oem location and welded it shut. I'm actually not sure why the oem vent tubes didn't have an issue with getting gas in them.
BTW, the second attempt at routing my vent line was up into the trunk, then around the edges to the oem outlet location above the license plate. No place in the line is below the top of the tank (except of course at the outlet valve)

lalessi1

I put 5 gallons in the tank and idled the car for almost an hour. I will check my vent but I think I did that when I changed the tank.

First 15 minutes: No A/C. Temp 180F

Second 15 minutes: A/C. Outside Fan. Temp less than 190

Third 15 minutes: A/C. No external fan. Temp Just under 200

Forth: No A/C. Outside fan. Temp dropping below 190 when I shut it down

Fuel pressure rock steady at 7 psi. Idle quality deteriorated with temps above 190. I shot the brass fittings on the fuel block and the infrared "temp" readings maxed out at 150F (not the actual temp). Ambient temp was only 83 today. I think my fuel pressure issue is no longer an issue. My fan/radiator combo is marginal, space constraints make solving that problem difficult. Any ideas about using my 18" 7 blade Flex-a-lite fan with a shroud? EFI?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

"Any ideas about using my 18" 7 blade Flex-a-lite fan with a shroud?" Only that I think that's the fan that some have talked about as being dangerous....not sure if it was here or on the Hamb. That thought was also why I brought up the Mark VIII fan/shroud

dgasman

I am having the same issue or at least similar with my Ranchero. It?s the stock 352 FE with a little larger cam than stock . I am also using the Griffin radiator with a 18 inch fan with clutch. 180 thermostat. It never really overheats but at idle it will run 190ish without AC on and 200ish with AC on . I was having fuel issues when I had a carburetor on it . Hotter it got the worse it idled and restarts we nearly impossible.

I have installed Fuel Injection on it with a return system and it runs so much better and thought my problems were fixed. Started right up hot or cold no idle issues when it was @ 190 until a few weeks ago.

Was going to Pomona swap meet and car was driving great then got in the line to enter Pomona. So after about 1:30 hour of waiting in line fo get in , car started to idle lower but temp was only 199 but could feel the heat coming from engine bay so pop hood open to let out hot air . That did help for a few minutes and then the car stalled . It had vapor locked . After about 10 minutes with hood up it would restart and was able to move to a safe place and let it cool down . Everything under the hood was heat soaked. The temp that day was around 100 and after the car cooled down ran fine and made it back home with no issues.

I have been pondering about the whole situation and let the car idle in my driveway for about a hour and started checking temps on all the components and noticed the intake manifold was getting real hot at the crossover and have been wondering if all that heat is soaking into the fuel system causing the problem?

I am thinking about plugging the cross over . Don?t know if yours is plugged . The only thing I have to decide if I pull the manifold off is what manifold do I install?.

HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel was leaning out with the higher temps. Ethanol fuel burns hotter and causes higher combustion chamber temps and higher exhaust temps. The cross over is heating the manifold plenum and Ethanol fuel evaporates easily with the higher temp. If you are using a cast iron manifold I would block the crossover, maybe fill it with an epoxy, I've seen people is a small metal piece but they usually burn through pretty quick. Just as a note a few months ago people were having a hard time finding Edlebrock manifolds, they were out of stock at many suppliers. They moved from Calif to somewhere in the southeast.. Castings are still made here but all other operations at the new place. Not sure if they are making them now or not I haven't kept up on it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

Yes Jim you know our fuel in Cali sucks , winter blend / summer blend and more $ ? lol . I am still running  the original iron intake. I do have a few Fe intakes from a old school F427 Edelbrook to a Jay Brown 351 Cleveland intake adapter. That is my dilemma? lol
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

lalessi1

The Edelbrock heads have no heat crossover in them. I can buy no-ethanol fuel here so I may try that. It is coolish here today and I am planning on driving. I have a Blue Thunder dual plane with an oil filler tube. If I go with an Edelbrock EFI, it comes with a Victor manifold (it is an air gap design).
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: dgasman on 2021-09-09 22:26
Yes Jim you know our fuel in Cali sucks , winter blend / summer blend and more $ ? lol . I am still running  the original iron intake. I do have a few Fe intakes from a old school F427 Edelbrook to a Jay Brown 351 Cleveland intake adapter. That is my dilemma? lol
Yes we are stuck with our crap gas blends and at one time not long ago THEY wanted to adapt it to the rest of the country and I would be surprised if that doesn't happen in the near future
:005:
Choosing a manifold these days is a hard decision for sure. I had a factory 4V aluminum manifold on my FE that actually burned through the bottom of the cross over.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

WA state has had the same issue for years. The '98 Explorer runs like you know what on the winter blend...especially if it didn't get taken out and run down the hiway now and then to clean it out. No problems here in MO...yet.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker