News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lowering Options?

Started by greaseball, 2021-09-09 13:49

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

So I'm used to lowering a car with lowering blocks out back & cutting the springs up front.

But there's better ways now-
(this time I'd like to de-arch my springs instead of blocks...)
And for the front end is there another way (as far as alignment goes) besides cutting/changing the springs or changing over to disc brakes & dropped spindles?
What's up with "Aerostar" springs please? Are those way better than cutting the springs?

Thanks!

lalessi1

The best way to lower the front is dropped spindles, the suspension travel stays the same. I have Aerostar springs but they lowered the car too much so I had to add spacers. They are shorter and have a 50% higher spring rate with the same outside diameter and ends. Without the spacers there was only maybe an inch of travel. Cutting the stock springs with increase the spring rate but you can "dial" in the height if you are careful. I personally think lowering blocks are the best way to lower the back, you know exactly how much you will get. You can have stock springs de-arched but that requires a good spring shop, I never have tied that. Another option is custom wound springs for the front and maybe custom springs for the rear as well?
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Cutting the coils is a good option.  The spring rate increase is not very noticeable unless you get carried away.  Rule of thumb is 1" of spring removed = 2" drop.  Use a cutoff wheel, never a torch!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

SkylinerRon

My local spring shop got me exactly 2" of rear height to clear the slicks on my racecar with no problem at all.

Ron.

Fairlane62

I used S10 springs rather than Aerostar.  They dropped the front about 2 inches.

James

rovohn

Quote from: Fairlane62 on 2022-08-21 21:38I used S10 springs rather than Aerostar.  They dropped the front about 2 inches.

James
What year S10?
ThanksJohn
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

Fairlane62

They were multiple year.  They were Moog #5658 through Summit.

James

lalessi1

The Dimensions for Moog Front Coil Spring Part Number 5658 are the following. The Inner Diameter is 4.08in, Bar Diameter .68in, Spring Rate - 530.00 lbs per in, Load - 1405.00 Lbs, Installation Height - 10.75in, Free Height- 13.35 in and its a constant rate.

The stock Ford Springs are 400,430, and 500 lbs per inch with the free height that varies between 13.65 in and 15.55 in. The installed height at normal load is 9.60 in across the board.

Moog CC850 (Aerostar Springs) are 605 lbs per in, Free Height is 11.65

A couple of simple calculations implies that the drop you'd see with S10 springs is a function of what Ford springs you have. The Aerostar springs really are too short to start with.
Another point to consider is that the difference in change of the installed height of the spring is not the amount the car is lowered/raised. Lower A arm geometry will amplify the change.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2021-09-11 07:57....Rule of thumb is 1" of spring removed = 2" drop.  Use a cutoff wheel, never a torch!
Please clarify. Are you saying that cutting 1"off the end of the spring will give you a 2" drop or do you mean that the 1" is a vertical measurement? I can't feature 1" off the end of the spring = a 2" drop.

Ford Blue blood

I stand the spring up and rotate it unit there is a 1" mark, that is to say with the 57 springs that have a pig tail that sits down in a recess vice being able to stand up on a flat surface I turn until the bottom of the coil going up the spring is at the 1" on the tape.  Not sure that makes sense.  But shortening the spring 1" yields about a 1 - 1&1/2 to 2" drop.  This is because the location of the spring on the control arm, about halfway between the inner pivot and the spindle.

https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6035.60   

about 1/2 way down this page.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Tom the lower A arm pivots at one end and supports the car on the other (through the ball joint). The spring is in the center (more or less) of the A arm. A 2" movement at the ball joint moves the spring 1". hope that helps...
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2024-01-18 07:49....until the bottom of the coil going up the spring is at the 1" on the tape.  Not sure that makes sense ... But shortening the spring 1" yields about a 1 - 1&1/2 to 2" drop.
Thanks for the reply, Bill.
Yeah, considering that you mention the tape but not it's location your description is kinda odd. But it sounds like what I was trying to depict by the spring on the right in the pic I attached. It is also what I expected it would have to be. Saying '1" of spring removed = 2" drop' might lead some to believe that cutting 1" off the end of the spring would = a 2" drop. That didn't make sence to me & I just wanted to clear that up. I guess another way to put it might be to say 'taking 1" off of the free height of the spring = about a 2" drop.
Your Ranchero is beautiful!  Very beautiful!

RICH MUISE

It might not bean exact 2 : 1 ratio, but it's pretty damn close, and we are talking height inches, not coils. If I remember correctly, I needed a 2" drop and Lynn did the calculations for me, saying I needed to cut 1 1/4" of height off. It ended up being exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, as mentioned, it's the inner location of the springs projected out to the spindle location that makes for that ratio.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Lynn, your description is pretty good. Man! It's been about 60 years since I cut any coil springs. Two different cars that belonged to two different friends. We didn't have diddly for tools & managed to cut the lighter set with a hacksaw. Didn't have much luck doing that with the heavier set. Ended up walking them about a mile & a half away & a guy cut them with a torch! If cut-off wheels for metal even existed 60 years ago we didn't know about them.
BTW, I'm very well versed on all types of automobile suspension systems & how they work. Studied them a lot. There is no question that the best way to lower the front is to use dropped spindles. I keep thinking that long ago here I saw that someone does manufacture dropped spindles for our '57s.   

RICH MUISE

There was a guy on the Hamb that sold kits for years. He used Granada spindles, (Lincoln Versailles are the same, I believe). His name was Dave, and his company was "Drop N Stop". He had to quit making the kits a few years back because of health issues. He's still on the Hamb, a great guy willing to share his knowledge even if you weren't going to buy from him. When you ordered the kit, he'd give you the option of 1 1/2 or 2" drop, and ream the spindles accordingly. That's where I got my spindle/disc brake kit. I did not get the master/booster from him because I needed to go with Hydroboost.
Something in the back of my head is telling me there is another option available now......is it Scarebird??? I'm not sure if it's a dropped spindle kit, or just a disc brake kit fitting our original spindles.

Don't use a torch for cutting coils, the heat will ruin the temper.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe