News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brakes

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-11-11 09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

abe_lugo

Great read and note guys. 
I added back my swift sure.  Versailles discs upfront/ stock rears.  Used the 1 1/8 mustang master and do have a medium to low pedal.  I have the 2pound and a 10 pound valves and a prop valve. 
I have bled the system and adjusted the rears. 

I am able to lock them up and I even adjust to a ratio where the front lock more than the rear am I get sort a nose dive.  Gonna set mine up with more to the rear though. 
With the booster plugged and disconnected and do get  a hard but low pedal.

I also did notice that my rears don't have the self adjusting mechanism and want to add the soon. 

If we're to do this again.  I would have kept my car all stock.   If the engine was kept stock.

I have a heavy 41 Cadillac with drums all around.  With a Cad 500 engine.   It brakes and stop well when all is adjusted properly. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

hiball3985

You really shouldn't be using a 2 lb on the discs it will cause them to drag. Thats only required when the master cylinder is lower then the disc like on 40's type cars..
Changing to self adjusters isn't that easy unless someone knows a method. The anchor pin is to short to allow the extra hardware.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

I hear you on the residual valves I will end up reverting back.  I really wanted a high hard pedal and it seems there is no suck thing with some power brake setups. 

hiball3985

After the disc conversion I can't get a high pedal like the drums had, it's solid but not high. Mine are non power.. I think it is because the discs needing more volume moved  :dontknow:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

Guys.  Have you found anyone else with similar setups where you can feel how their pedal works?
There is a few guys with disc Conversions and I checked it out and they seem to feel the same.

I took out the front 2# valve today on mine and it still feel the same drag.  I need to road test this week.

hiball3985

Just curious as to how far your pedal is going down? With drums I was about 1" travel and with the disc it's closer to 2" before a solid pedal. Mine are manual Granada discs..

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

I was like.  I have nothing else to do.  I'll measure. And it's good info.

Pedal at rest is about 4" at the back.  Then pressed to start feeling pressure about 3-3.25". The about another 1/2" further where I'm putting a bunch of pressure.  It doesn't go all all way to the floor.
I know, know, this is with my hand. 

hiball3985

I'm no help, I don't have any idea what would be normal with Swift Sure power brakes and disc conversion. Hopefully some who has done this will have some input.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

I have done the disc conversation with this system. My ranchero has the original sure swift system on it , now with Granada disc fronts and  stock rears . Used a Granada multifunction valve . Works great no problems .I did this conversion 15 + years ago. But disc conversion isn?t alvins real problem. He is having problems with it in what should be in stock form. I know I helped get this off track. When I had the brakes all original it still was a ok system when you think for the day . I still wonder why he has a vacuum pump in the system? There is no reason for the vacuum pump. My picture of the front brakes is from my ranchero as removed 15 + years ago. Had to climb in the attic to snap it lol.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

djfordmanjack

Great discussion and information here !
thx for the detailed description, dgasman !

hiball3985

Thank you for the added picture, that confirms the pins do sit on an angle..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

alvin stadel

The reason I added the electric vacuum pump is,  my 312 has a full race cam and we could not get enough vacuum from the intake to get the power assist to work.  There fore  after installing the electric pump all works well, except if it is not running you are SOL if you have to use the brakes.  This brings me back to my original ? shouldn't I have some brakes or stopping power without the motor running.

gasman826

The correct fuel pump will provide vacuum for wipers and booster.

dgasman

Yes , you should have stopping power with no vacuum. Mine does stop and The pedal is very hard .
Do you have the vacuum can reservoir on the inner fender ? Is the check valve on the can working. It holds enough vacuum for 1to2 pumps on the brakes with the engine off .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

abe_lugo

ON my system I have brakes with with booster disconnected and the vacuum plugged, I actually test mine that way last week.