News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Member from Northeast Ohio

Started by Mike Krakora, 2021-11-24 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Krakora

My name is Mike, from northeast Ohio, midway between Pittsburgh, PA and Cleveland, Ohio.
The car that I am the current caretaker of, was originally purchased 12, November 1956, by our neighbors whom I will lovingly refer to as grandpa and grandma, they were grandparents of my friend. In the early 1970's grandpa was going to have the car towed to the junkyard as he considered it to be unsafe. He also wrote notes with a marker, on the doors describing his displeasure about the way some of the weather seals were installed, those notes are still on the car, along with oil change stickers from the 1960's.
He bought a new 1973 Ford for grandma to use, but she said that she liked her Fairlane. The new car had power steering, seatbelts, power brakes, electric windshield wipers, and rearview mirrors, unlike the Fairlane.
Grandma eventually started using the newer car and after several years offered the Fairlane to her grandson. During this time he used it occasionally and he and I would do the maintenance and prepare it for winter every year. Eventually he got M/S and could not drive it anymore.
In 2016, I became the current caretaker.
It is all original except, that I put an oil filter conversion on it, even though I have a supply of filter cartridges, and because it does not cause any permanent damage, it is easier to change a spin on filter will laying on the garage floor than it is to position the canister filter into place.
It has plenty of "Patina" from the last 65 years!
I plan to keep the car in original condition, as much as possible. - Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

thomasso

57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

Man, some of you new members are just coming up with some outstanding cars. Congrats!! That's a beautiful car, and IMHO, the best model of the Fairlanes...it's got the look of a hardtop but with the solidity (is that a word, lol?) of a sedan.
Thanks for the intro!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BP57CUSTOM

Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

59meteor

Nice looking 57, but I thought Ford switched to spin on oil filters before 57. All three of my 57s (all 272 cars), had spin on filters, maybe some early 57s still had the canister oil filters?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

thomasso

My 312 had a canister as does my extra 292.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Fairlane62

Nice car, and nice background story.

chapingo17

Pretty car, congrats. Welcome.

terry_208

Welcome to the forum.  That is a very nice car.  I am curious, what size engine does it have?
Terry

Mike Krakora

Terry, The engine is a 292 - attached is a photograph of the grungy motor
I have not calculated the build date but I am certain it is a fairly early build.
Rich - it does look really nice, the gold accent really looks great between the wood smoke gray and colonial white.
It is pretty solid, but certainly could use new seals, and rubber bumpers, the originals have disintegrated quite a bit.
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

hiball3985

Welcome to our forum. Thats a beautiful car and looks rust free.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

Mike, I keep thinking that these cars are 64-65 years old, so that doesn't look too bad!
Terry

Mike Krakora

Attached is a photograph of the passenger door, which shows one of the comments grandpa made regarding the quality of  the vent seal, he also commented on the upper door to jamb seal that was very deformed.
The second image is a page from the owners manual that lists all the cars grandpa owned from 1924 - 1957, note there is on odd make for 1927.
Mike
1957 Fairlane 500
1966 Galaxie 500

lalessi1

That is so neat to have a record like that! The car looks pristine, I don't remember seeing a door panel in that condition. Welcome to the forum.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Just beatiful. Does it get driven?, and I'm curious what the odometer reads. Be careful with those tires. Even if they have lots of tread, the age makes them unsafe. I'd be doing lots of research on the best way to detail that engine compartment without harm to all that pristine, but dirty, OEM stuff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe