News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 ford engine swap

Started by joaquinros, 2021-11-30 20:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Exactly, and besides, our new member has had his/his dad's car for 7 years....he has already bought the donor car......so obviously they have done their research and have a fair idea what they want....just need help gettin' it done!!
If they were asking about a 4.6 install, I could give all the tiniest details they would need..........I'm hoping someone here can/will do that for the 5.0.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Windsor engine in a '57 is nearly factory next to a FE.  The '57 frame is extremely similar up through the '64.  '63 and '64s offered the Windsor option.  A 5.0 bolts in with very minor adjustments.  The donor car should have an AOD transmission that will bolt to the '57 cross member with minimum tweaking.  First generation Mustang headers will fit.  Lokar for accelerator setup.  Y-Block radiator will work.  If '90 donor has 3G alternator, there are pigtails and plenty of install directions.  I think the AOD uses a C4 yoke.  With a long yoke on the 9", the Crown Vic drive shaft should be very close.  PI (P70) cars have aluminum drive shafts...just for bragging.  What did I leave out?

RICH MUISE

Same thing I did, Gary. He asked about the '57 rear end vs the one from the CV.
My answer, and I think all will agree,.........leave the OEM differential in place. 1957 was the first year for the famous 9" rear. Anything you would possibly need for it is readily available..........rebuild components, any ratio pinion gears, conversion kits for upgraded brakes, trac-loc, hd axles, extended racing pinion yokes, bearings, etc etc.

gasman826

x2 on the 9.  OEM gear ratio might be a little high...3.89 might be better...tire height would be the issue.  The 8.8 would be too wide. But quite a few 8.8s had TractionLoc...most of the PIs.
'92-02 CV rear disc brakes are a 9", small bearing bolt on.  Donor car is a '90 so do a little research.

SkylinerRon

I wonder why anyone would want to swap a 312 for a 302. Just seems like a lot of work and money for no real gain in performance or economy.
Ted Eaton is next door in Texas i'm sure he could do a great Y-Block for the op.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Ford Blue blood

Depends on the end game.  A modern 5.0 wit EFI has in essence an unending life.  The fuel management is so superior to the of carburetors the engine will run forever with proper maintenance.  Power and reliability are improved considerably, drive ability is vastly improved (think cold start/immediately drive off) add to that it can all be done on regular gas.  Let's not even talk about mileage, wrong thing to worry about if you are playing with cars....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Good suggestion though with the Ted Eaton recommendation.......they did say they haven't had any luck with their local guys working on it. I just hope we haven't driven our new member away with all our opinions.

59meteor

I do like Y Blocks, and have built a few of them, but for a practical standpoint, I can certainly see where a 302 makes sense. First off, a 302 is about 150 pounds lighter, has much more power potential, is many times easier to get parts for, and has been refined over many years. No rope seals to leak, effective crankcase ventilation systems, you can bolt up a 5 speed overdrive transmission or AOD without any adapting. That said, I much prefer to see a Y Block or FE under the hood of a 50s car, but to be honest, for a car that I planned to drive several thousands of miles a year, for me, a warmed over carburated 302 with a T5 would be at the top of my list. Of course, I chose performance and old school with my 59, by choosing the 428CJ FE and 4 speed Toploader, but another car with a 302 5 speed would be nice for another toy . Funny, until about 25 years ago, I wouldnt give a 289-302 any consideration, until I was able to pick up a free 78 Fairmont with a 302, didnt take much money or effort to have a low 13-high 12 second daily driver, that I could drive to work thru the week, race on weekends, and take on long road trips if desired. And other than 1 broken axle while racing, in the 8.8 rearend, I never hurt that car in the 12 or so years I had that car.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

SkylinerRon

I guess one could add a Holley Sniper, Pertronics and a PVC for a no maintenance 312.

A 302 will never out torque a Y-Block in a heavy 57. I too have a 302 Fairmont, runs good because it is 700 lbs lighter than a 57

Engine swaps for a novice can be an overwhelming first project. I remember swapping a MEL into a 51 Victoria, a Y into a 1950, an 361 Edsel into a 57, a mopar 383 into a 65 Valiant. looking back the only one that made sense was the FE to 57.

Goodluck,

Ron.

joaquinros

i do appreciate all the inputs. i wanted to keep the car original but it was getting hard to find people to work on it at a reasonable price. everywhere i went they would tell me the same thing,live the car, and iam not letting that car sleep outside. it has sentimental values and if something happens to it i will be very dissapointed. iam sure fixing the engine and transmission would be cheaper but i really like the feel and sound of the 5.0
i will send pictures when i figure out how

Wirenut

Good luck in your decision. Whatever you decide, it will be good to keep it on the road and functional. Original or modern, its always good to see them being driven instead of rotting away.