News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

390 into 1957 Parts/Problems

Started by GhostMachine, 2021-12-01 16:33

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostMachine

I have seen over the past few years some posts on swapping the 390 into the 57 and replacing the 292... What problems can we anticipate, what parts (bell housing, radiator, headers, mounts, throttle linkage, driveshaft,  is there room for the Z-bar or anything else that we will need or find on Ebay. I have three on the column, will this need to be changed to a top loader 4sp, if Stans Headers are not available, what is the next best thing. I appreciate all of your information and responses....

lalessi1

The 390 is the same design as the 332 that was introduced in 1958. Since 1958 and 1957 share the same frame and body substructure the swap is a true bolt in. The only issue is identifying and finding the correct Ford parts. I did this swap in 1967 in a day, but I did have the advantage of a Ford Parts Department that could identify and get the correct parts. I did the swap again in 2013 still the same but a little harder finding the correct stuff. You can use the original 57 transmission and column shifter with the right bell housing. Motor mounts are the same. Clutch linkage is a little sketchy. Be glad to help out in any way I can. I probably have some or all of the  the clutch stuff.
Lynn

lalessi1

Throttle linkage is the same, radiator will work, stock exhaust manifolds are good, driveshaft is the same if you use the original transmission
Lynn

59meteor

Although you could retain the original 3 speed, providing you can find a 58 thru 64 manual FE bellhousing, they are a non syncro 1rst gear, and very weak transmission. A Toploader 4 speed would be a much better choice. I believe the clutch linkage for 57 thru 59 Ford cars are very similar, but the block side pivot bracket for the Z Bar is different between the different engines. My 59 was originally a 332 FordOMatic car, when I swapped to a 428CJ and Toploader 4 speed, I used the clutch pedals, frame bracket, rod from the Z bar to the clutch fork from a 59 parts car I had, with a 6 cylinder 3 speed. I bought a Z bar, engine side pivot, and lower clutch fork rod, from a 332 3 speed 58 Ford, but after careful inspection and measuring, it appeared the 6 cylinder Z bar was identical to the FEV8 part, other than lower arm pin for the fork rod sticks out the opposite direction. So if you grind off the weld, and reverse the pin, the Z bar should work. As mentioned, the 58 FE mounts will fit the 57, (mount may be identical the the Y Block mount). My Toploader has both the forward (Fairlane/Comet), and rearward (Mustang/Cougar) shifter mounting holes drilled and tapped, I use a Hurst Super Shifter 3 in the Fairlane position, which clears the stock bench nicely, a Mustang shifter position would not. I have the FPA headers, which fit well and route the exhaust pipes above the unaltered transmission crossmember, like factory. With the FPA headers, some very minor clutch linkage modifications were needed, but quite simple. Coincedently, I was talking to Stan at FPA 2 days ago, and he said they are about 8 weeks behind, and he currently had 3 sets of the 57-59 FE headers on the list.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

81TTA

If you want to keep the column shift, you could use a 3-speed Toploader.  My dad's '57 had a 360/3 speed swap, we think, from a 1968 F100.  At least, that somewhat matches the numbers we decoded from the engine/trans combo.  As with any modifications done by the previous owner, some things are obvious and some things you guess at!

I don't know if the driveshaft was modified for the 3-speed before he got the car.  I do know they modified the crossmember a little to match the mounting for the Toploader.  I'm guessing (wild) that the linkage for column shift would be pretty much the same at the column across vehicles?  Just a matter of using the correct shifter arms on the transmission.

lalessi1

Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2021-12-02 06:45
I found a bellhousing. You will also need a 153 tooth flywheel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165162306912?hash=item267470cd60:g:uOgAAOSwJrVhgGmy
Or, you could do as I did, use a later 184 tooth flywheel, and 65 and newer starter, but to do so, you will also need the thin steel plate that is sandwiched between the engine block and the bellhousing, which locates the starter. The long shaft early starter is located with a cast in ring in the starter aluminum end plate, and a corresponding groove in the starter pocket of the bellhousing.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.