News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Remanufactured Y-Block for my car

Started by ROKuberski, 2022-01-15 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

I got it from Rockauto, the first place I look for stuff that I don't need right away.

https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1435194&parttype=1264

It is the "Loop with mass backing."  $239.79 + tax & shipping.

I can post pictures on YouTube if you want to see what it looks like.

Rich

ROKuberski

I think the picture feature is working again.

This is a test.

Rich

ROKuberski

Pictures of the pinon yoke I replaced.

On the picture of the bad side, you can see that some metal got scrunched down and flowed onto the base.  Seems like a hard thing to accomplish.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Motor looks great, Rich. Had we been able to post pics the past 3 or 4 weeks, I'd never had made my comment about going to be surprised if it was a worn yoke!! wow......but not really worn, looks like more of a misalignment when previously tightened down.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,

I've actually been wondering if the damage was done at the factory.  I don't see how that metal could be deformed by bolting in a U-Joint.  Anyway, it's now a paper weight.

Rich

ROKuberski

My carpet just arrived.  It looks great.  It's also heavy and will likely be a lot of work to get it installed.  It's also WAY better that the one currently in the car.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Had no idea they sold stuff like that, but I do buy most of my parts from them. Those look great. I hope they fit as good as they look. I should add them to our suppliers list. Thanks for posting
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,

I bought it from Rockauto, but it was shipped from Alabama.  I don't think Rockauto is anything but a middleman reseller, but their prices are usually very good.  I've had items come to me from three different warehouses on one order.

Rich

Ford Blue blood

ACC in Anniston, AL is the carpet king.  They supply carpet kits to a gazillion vendors.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

I've been to their website before.  I just did a dummy order and it appears that Rockauto is less expensive than buying directly from them.

Rich

ROKuberski

It's been one of those weeks.  After the initial startup of the engine, which went fine. I started the car once more; it ran for about 5 minutes then died.  Until today, I've not been able to get it restarted.

I finally figured out that the engine was getting flooded.  I cleaned out the cylinders, cleaned the plugs and then tried to figure out what was causing the problem.  I checked all the wiring and connections and all was fine.  Finally, last Tuesday I called Holley.  I don't know if they were helpful or lucky.  Anyway, the tech had me install new firmware on the EFI.  That stopped the excess fuel, so I hung up with him.  Then I figured out that NO fuel was being delivered.  So, after a little while I tried to start it again and then it was dumping excess fuel again.  I cleared the cylinders and turned off the lights in the garage.

This afternoon (Friday) was the first time I touched the car since talking to Holley on Tuesday.  I deleted the firmware and reinstalled it and what do you know, it started right up.  I let it warm up, set the idle speed and reset the timing.  Now that it was running and warm, I ran the transmission through the gears and added the fluid that was spilled when I had the transmission out of the car. 

I'm taking the credit for getting it started, but if you know what "BTSOM" means that is a better description of what just happened.

Rich

oldave57

Rich,

Great to hear that the engine is up and running and the fuel issues are straightened out.  Have you had a chance to road test the car to check if the change to the pinion yoke has solved the vibration issue?

Good Job,
Dave

ROKuberski

Dave,

Yesterday, I put about 15 miles on the car, but never over about 45.  I need to go on the interstate to see if this issue is fixed.

Right now, I've got the seat out and the old carpet out and the front portion of the new carpet in place.  It seems like every project is a minor battle.  This molded carpet is STIFF!.  My first impression was that the molding was not done properly, but now that I have it stuffed into all of the corners nice and tight, it is laying very nicely on the transmission tunnel and there are even cutouts and  bumps molded to fit the lumps on the floor in the foot area of the drivers side.  One missing feature was that they did not make a hole for the headlight switch.  I have the grommet from the old carpet and was going to use that, but the hole I cut is a nice tight fit.  I'll use the grommet for the drain tube from the A/C unit.

At the end of the day I was trying to punch pilot holes for the bolts for remounting the accelerator.   I was under the car with an awl and I had my wife inside the car with a stick holding the carpet down so I could punch through.   I managed to get only one hole through the carpet.  This stuff is so heavy and thick that it's hard to work with.  Today, I'll take my heat gun to heat the awl and see if that makes it easier to push through.   I know from past experience that you should not drill through carpet.  If the bit grabs the yarn it will pull it through and leave a very noticeable area of missing yarn.

I also think they screwed up the back 1/2 of the carpet.  It's too long and they did not finish the edge that meets up with the metal frame under the front of the back seat.  The front carpet is edge bound in all areas where it is exposed.  None of the back carpet is edge bound.  The sides are under the sills and the front is under the back of the front 1/2.  I'll contact Rockauto tomorrow about this.  Since the rear is also molded, it's tough to make a straight line for cutting and if you are short there is no fix.  (Now that I think about it, I wonder if that carpet should go up the face of the area under the front of the rear seat?  Anyone know?)

I also don't want to think about reinstalling the seat then taking it out again for when the carpet issue is corrected.  If they say it was not a fabrication error, I will find someone local that can do this.  That being said, the carpet is far superior in quality to what was in the car.

I did purchase felt to put under the previous carpet, this also had an aluminum foil coating.  It's nice stuff and I don't remember what I paid for it, but if someone has a 2-door car and wants it, let me know and I'm sure we can work something out.

Rich

ROKuberski

I just spent some time with the rear carpet.  It's pretty clear to me that it was made for a 4-door car.  It won't fit.  Bump outs along the side are correct, but in the wrong place.  I also checked my order and I did select one for a 2-door car.  Bummer.  I'll call Rockauto in the morning.

Rich

oldave57

Rich,

I checked some photos I have of my 57 Club Sedan regarding the joint of the rear floor carpet to the seat bottom and it appears that the carpet ends at the vertical joint to the front seat support.  My car had the same vinyl as the seat edges covering that vertical wall below the seat bottom.  I think this area of the car was original but no way to verify for sure. 

My 57 Skyliner also has the rear floor carpet edge mating up to the vertical support for the seat bottom but on this car the vertical wall is painted and not covered.  Not sure what you will find when you talk with Rockauto but thought I would send along this info as an FYI.

Good Luck,
Dave