News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

C4 Trans conversion

Started by Lakeland66, 2022-01-25 11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakeland66

Hi All,
I want to replace the stock automatic trans in my 57 Fairlane with a c4.
Is there any modifications like mounts, linkage or driveshaft or is it a straight swap?

Many thanks in advance

rmk57

I don't believe a c4 will bolt up directly to a y-block without an adapter. there are or used to be a couple companies that do make an adapter. Flat-O- Products? Something like that.

Just found them.....       https://www.flat-o.com/
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

rmk57

One other thing is the c4 is a 3-speed, 1-2-3 whereas the FOM is also a 3-speed but has the L-Drive. Getting your detents on the column to line up correctly may take some "tinkering".
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lakeland66

Thank you everyone for all the info.
Today a guy offered me a Merc- o- matic. Comes with the torque converter. Was rebuilt and has not been installed, says it will bolt right in and is heavier duty than my original 57.
Would this be a good way to go?

Thanks again

KULTULZ

Quote from: Lakeland66 on 2022-01-25 20:21

Today a guy offered me a Merc- o- matic. Comes with the torque converter. Was rebuilt and has not been installed, says it will bolt right in and is heavier duty than my original 57.

Would this be a good way to go?

What model year is the MERC-O-MATIC?

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Lakeland66

He said it came out of a 1959 Merc. that had a Y block.

KULTULZ

It would be much cheaper than a C4 conversion (IMO). If correct model, it will be SINGLE RANGE so the shift indicator would read correctly and the trans is stronger the the F/M.

Make sure of the TRANS ID -

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Just a reminder, the torque converter style was changed on the 1958 model run, so if it is a 59 MERC, you will also need the 58/62 FYB FM/CM flex-plate.

Just trying to catch you.

When the smoke clears, it mat be easier to go with the C4 UPGRADE,
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

abe_lugo

For my conversion. I have a C4 on the hardtop.  I got the column shift linkage connected. The park detent works. I don't think any amount of playing with the indicator arrow position will help the letter aligning. So making a new piece with new indication letter is kind mandatory when you go to a C4. 

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008