News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Member from Hawaii

Started by smkeeman, 2022-01-26 00:03

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Welcome to the board, great to have a member from Hawaii !

Sorry I did miss this thread until now. Rich dug up my old build thread and I think you can find quite some info and pics there. It is great news that you can actually start with a decent donor part.
Like Rich said these have 3 layers of sheet metal, that are spot welded together. It may be a good idea to drill those spot welds so you have single layers of sheet metal that you can cut and replace and most importantly prime before the next layer goes on. Make sure to clean out all the old debris, rust, and whatnot and that the drain holes are free so seeping water can eventually drain out the rocker panels.
Hawaii must be beautiful place to live but the sea spray and moisture certainly is not the best environment for an old 57.... :003:

Somehow, it's a pity that you did get the donor part from Terry because I was already hoping for a flight to Oahu and a summer spent repairing your a post.... :002: :005:

Good luck with the repair and keep us updated
Guenter

mustang6984

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2022-03-03 05:05

Somehow, it's a pity that you did get the donor part from Terry because I was already hoping for a flight to Oahu and a summer spent repairing your a post.... :002: :005:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gee Gunther...if you're looking for a reason to spend a summer helping repair other guys '57's...c'mon over to Branson  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

smkeeman

I?m not too proud to turn down free or cheap labor, especially when it?s skilled.  So if you find yourself wanting to head out this way for a bit drop me a line I am sure we can arrange something!

terry_208

Sean and I have been talking through texts and emails.  I was able to put the "A" pillar into the USPS system a little while ago.  I was shocked to learn that USPS costs were 1/3 of Fdex's and less than 1/2 the cost of UPS.  I cut the top of the pillar rearward of the spot welds above the door, a small portion of the top and forward to just over the pivot for the wiper then down through the cowl, in front of the dash, then over to the pillar just above the vin tag on the door post. 
Terry

mustang6984

Yea...cheaper but he might be 5 years older before it gets there. I think I told you when I saw you last about the check to an Olympia credit union that took nearly SIX weeks to arrive from Missouri... :angry5:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

smkeeman

No worries on time here.  I?m used to long shipping lead times and I?ve got plenty of other things to keep me occupied.  I had to get a new windshield shipped over and that was just a little less than a nightmare.

mustang6984

I can only imagine. Hopefully it arrived intact...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-03-03 09:46
   Gee Gunther...if you're looking for a reason to spend a summer helping repair other guys '57's...c'mon over to Branson  :003:

Quote from: smkeeman on 2022-03-03 11:54
I?m not too proud to turn down free or cheap labor, especially when it?s skilled.  So if you find yourself wanting to head out this way for a bit drop me a line I am sure we can arrange something!

Haha...you guys rock! First over to Hughs place in Mo, for some sedan deliveries and a live concert by the Petersen Family and then over to Oahu for a Ranchero and some surf. That sounds like a good summer for me... :003:
Honestly speaking though, I don't even know if I can get out of my own country, let alone into yours, at this point. The mandates have become insane here...very sad and annoying.

Getting back on topic, as Terry described the way he cut the donor part, that is awesome ! it will cover all of the critical areas and will provide great help in fixing the damage !