News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

So this happened Country Sedan from CO

Started by abe_lugo, 2022-02-06 15:34

Previous topic - Next topic

abe_lugo

Yep I bought Jim's wagon  Will give more details as I'll make this my own thread. 

We were already planning a roadtrip for Dec/Jan.  Why not pick up a nice wagon?
Initially it was to see the folks in Southern Minnesota,   So we planned for a flight to MN. Then we flew down to Denver.  We visited with family in FT Collins.  Then picked up the wagon and headed down to ABQ.
Each stop we basically had friends of family to visit. 
The two longer legs of the trip were the ABQ to Phoenix via Payson then the Phoenix to Los Angeles via I-10. 
The wagon performed well.  It was a little nerve racking on some accounts, to get used to driving a sight unseen car.  But it worked out well. 

Yes I know this won't be a full build thread but it will have some of the small fixes that it needs.   I have yet to completely go through it.  I mainly just want to make the small things right. 

If you guys think another subforum would for for this please move it over. 
Otherwise some of the minor fixes are trim details.  Some work on the tailgate.  And other interior items that need a looking at.  It also need the gas gauge, speedo and a few dash details.  I forgot to mention I need to replace one of rear quad wagon windows.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

abe_lugo

Jim is jrw429.   This was the seller of the wagon.  I think He was more of a lurker. But actively worked on the wagon. Also he would post about the things he needed and looking for to fix the wagon
Currently working on that list of things to to do.  Some of which O happen to have spare parts for already.  8) unfortunately I think we got a pretty bad chip,crack in the windshield from a semi truck. But it is more of little star. 
Yes it drove nice.   Has a bit of a oil leak and maybe a bit of oil burning- no smoking at all. But I made sure I had extra oil as needed.  Suspension-wise this was awesome.  brakes worked. We went from 5200ish feet in CO to the mountains in AZ at about 7400 feet with some crazy inclines. And 6 degree grades to come back down.  The engine revved a bit but got up and down the mountain passes ok. 

RICH MUISE

Beautiful wagon, and apparently a very reliable one. JIM? Is he someone we know here? Keep us up to date with more info, and as it progresses.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

This wagon was in our 4 sale category not long ago:

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=8918.0

Abe, I am glad this went to another forum member. I had also been thinking about this one quite a bit. It seems to be a very solid and dry wagon for a very good price. I know many 57 Ford friends rather have the fancy Fairlane or Skyliner models or those sporty custom 2dr sedans, but to me, nothing beats a 57 wagon. it is a perfect combination of all time good looks, huge cargo load area, piling family or friends in the comfortable seats and they certainly are no slouch with a y block. I also always loved how these cars drive, stock ride height or slightly lowered. the view and seating is excellent and  for the driver, it is an incredibly airy feeling of having all those glass and huge space behind you. the heater is great and the ventilation in summer too. the 2 piece tailgate is super practical and did I talk about the general great looks of this wagon..... :002: :003: haha !
Have fun with this sweet CS !

KYBlueOval

Did you notice in the first and second photo, there is what I believe is a Morris Minor Convertible and in the second photo there is another '57 Ford. Rather unusual.

hiball3985

Glad you got it. I had considered it also but decided I didn't want to take on another project. The price was more then reasonable for one in this condition..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2022-02-07 05:09
Did you notice in the first and second photo, there is what I believe is a Morris Minor Convertible and in the second photo there is another '57 Ford. Rather unusual.
I noticed it, looks like a Fairlane
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Thanks for jogging my memory, Gunter. Now I remember even showing it to my wife knowing Christmas was just around the corner, lol.

abe_lugo

Yes, it is that wagon and it is in very nice shape.  I think I understand some of the Frustration the PO had with the tailgate, I am going to order those latch parts Dennis carpenter sells. I think it does need some work at the bottom of the tailgate.

The heater on this is very well worked out, all the heat settings work great. We were in 20 degree to 60 degree weather and it did it job. It pretty to to have a good working heater.

I ordered the side glass already and will be looking for a car cover too.

BTW, yes that is a Morris Minor in the shot, that is my wife's convertible, we just added some new window seals and 3 point seatbelts to it this weekend.   mustang6984 picked up and engine for me up north so we can go 1275 on it. It is in the process of a rebuild.  But the car currently runs is is very fun.

The other '57 in the shot is my Hardtop- also a runner. That one I just tool around on- its going 60's mild custom. Currently mostly cleaning up the dry desert patina and sealing off the interior from the exterior.

We sort have to have all cars running to move things around in the drive way.

gasman826

What tailgate hardware do you need?  I think I still have these.

abe_lugo

gasman826, thanks!
the latching is is not solid, likes its iffy (if it actually locked/closed), I think its those upper parts in your image, are they both parts #'s I see they have left and right's, I would welcome the other parts below, I have to check those also.. the ford # B5A-5943147-A, B5A-5943146-A

Sending PM. I'll take another look into the spare parts bin that came with the wagon also.

I also have to have a key made for the rear lock, the door keys dont work, they look like they have been replaced, the doors and ignition match. I have ot tried the glovebox.  I read the doors and rear tailgate should match, but, it not going to happen here.

RICH MUISE

Some of the distributors sell/sold matching ignition switch and door lock sets, so it's quite possible they have been replaced. I'm sure glad Jim advertised it here so one of our members could grab onto it, and I don't want to make him feel bad, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see the price at 2 to 3 times what he was asking.

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Abe, If you don't want the catches that Gasman has for sale I will take them.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

abe_lugo

Hey Mike I'll let you know on those parts. 

I think those and the lock might be some of the only items that are needed. I search the board and see the 59-60 tailgate lock might not work. 

I have yet to find the guy that used to make keys with a file at the old Pomona swap.  I tried a few place for my Cadillac and it was much easier to just buy keyed sets already as old world locksmith are just about gone in Los Angeles. 

Anyhow

The first let of the road trip was from Erie to Trinidad Colorado.  It was a good 3 hour drive. 
Here are some pics.