16" Electric Cooling Fan Recommendations.......Either Positive or Negative

Started by KYBlueOval, 2022-04-22 08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm at the point that I need to purchase a 16" Puller fan and would like to know what you fellow Forum Members recommend. Please tell me about the fans that you use and do they get the job done. As well, if there are fans I should avoid, I'd like to hear that as well.
Thanks
John

rmk57

I'm going through this process now. I'm going to be using a Lincoln mark 8 electric fan I've had laying around for the last 20 years. I've already picked up a 3G alternator but still need relays, temp sensors and the rest. The Lincoln fan is a pusher and had to be mounted on the grill side or in front, this is with a 429-460 style engine. The Lincoln fan is overall larger than the aftermarket fans but from I've read is the best in the business.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

Thanks Randy.........What is the year range on the Lincoln Mark 8, if you know. And what is a amp draw on that fan, if you know.
John

rmk57

Early 90's I recall. The unit I have is 2-speed but I'm only going to use the high speed circuit to keep it simple. The amp draw is from what I've read off the internet can be as high as 70 amps on initial start up, then settle down to 15 or so amps running. Again this off the internet, I haven't had mine running yet to test. If I could post pictures I could take a photo of what I've done so far. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

KYBlueOval

A quick check of a local Pull A Part yard says they have a 1997 Mark 8.........Can anyone tell me if that is a year that has the high powered fan Randy is referring to?
John

RICH MUISE

As we talked, 93-97 Mark VIII should work, but I disagree with rmk57...it is not a pusher. They are mounted on the engine side of the radiator. You may have to move your radiator forward a bit depending on how much engine clearance you have. I'll find a pic.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

A pic...........also, you mentioned on the phone you had planned on weathertight connector. I don't think you can on this as the connector housing is part of the motor housing. But you can buy the mating connector from Rockauto, as well as a new motor if needed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2022-04-22 17:02As we talked, 93-97 Mark VIII should work, but I disagree with rmk57...it is not a pusher. They are mounted on the engine side of the radiator. You may have to move your radiator forward a bit depending on how much engine clearance you have. I'll find a pic.

My mistake, yes it is a puller fan, none the less it's one of the better oem fans out there.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

Yesterday I visited a Pull A Part location that had a '97 Mark VIII, looking for the fan . It was gone, no surprise there. A search on Fee-Bay turns up a couple of fans and some information that Forum readers may find useful.I do not attest to the correctness of any of the information I got from these E-Bay listings, but here is what I found
'93-'96 Mark VIII, two speed fan  3415 CFM on High & 22 AMPS,  2800CFM on Low and  18 AMPS
22" Wide, 19" High  5 1/4" Depth. The E_bay listing said this same fan was used on Thunderbirds and Cougars.

'97 &'98 Mark VIII have a variable speed fan.  A photo of the fan in the E-Bay listing has this number F7LH8C607 and the seller says it is the part number. An internet search using that number turned up nothing.  "Caveat Emptor !"  Buyer Beware.

After researching this fan, I've determined I can't use it due to the depth.......5 1/4", I can't make that much room. 
John

lalessi1

I purchased a 16" Derale fan and shroud for my Griffin radiator. I wasn't satisfied so I spoke to Griffin. They told me they tested a bunch of fans and settled on Spal for their fan and shroud assemblies. I built my own shroud and used (2) 12 Spal fans. They worked well even with very limited space.
Lynn

gasman826

One of the unfortunate side effects of 460 and Windsor based engines in '57s is they hog up the real estate between the engine and radiator.  I've done cooling mods with 460, Y-block and Windsor engines.  Since the Lincoln fan is bulky, I installed it as a pusher.  To install as a pusher, the gravel guard will need modification...not for the faint of heart.  It will require a lot of cutting.  The Lincoln fan cooled the stock Y-block and 550 HP Windsor.  At the time, aftermarket new motors were not yet available and wrecking yards had been picked.  I had only hoarded two fans and both eventually died.  On both the 460 and Windsor vehicles, I found no single fan motor small enough to fit between the radiator and the water pump pulley.  The alternative is to use a dual fan in a shroud and position the two fan motors on either side of the water pump pulley.  I have found that comparing CFMs is confusing and disappointing.  I have found better fan selection success comparing amperage requirements and price...more is better.  As with the Lincoln fan, a 70 amp breaker requirement is a better indicator of air movement than CFMs.  PIC 1 and 2 are Lincoln pusher fan...not very helpful.  PIC 3 is my dual, shrouded fans. 

gasman826

After experimenting with electric fans, I modified everything on the 460 '57 car to use a mechanical fan.  The '57 is at the tuner shop on a wheel dyno turning around 800 HP with no heating issues and using a mechanical fan.  So far, the tuner guy has not turned on the AC.

KYBlueOval

Lynn and Gary, thanks for the replies. Very helpful information.
Lynn, any chance you can tell me the part number for the Spal fans you used? How much clearance did you have to work with etc, if you recall.

Gary, the dual fan/shroud set up in one of your photos, can you tell me the overall size, source, part number, clearance etc. What do I need to know? I like this dual fan arrangement that you and Lynn have described. I had not given it much consideration,..........I will now.
John

gasman826

Cooling Components INC.

http://coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/store/products/cci-1226/

I think this is the one.  If you look closely at the fan photo, you can see that I clearanced the center of the shroud to clear the water pump pulley.  The description of this fan says 2-5/8" thick.  That is at the motors.  The center is thinner and even thinner with some grinding.  Pricey but really good stuff.  The shroud is wider than radiator so I added flanges to each side.  The radiator is a bolt in Griffin.

I can't do any more pictures or measurements because the Raunch Wagon went to New Zealand.  NZ has some really hot summers and the new owner has mentioned no heating issues.