News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 ford custom 300 cut top off into a conv ?

Started by bogey, 2008-11-24 00:16

Previous topic - Next topic

bogey

anyone make a chop off top conv? i have a gm conv made this way,but with the ford i wanted to add a true conv assm an maybe replace the windshield an posts with a conv model,bet thats easy to find.thanks 

Lou

Remember a Custom & Custom 300 have a shorter wheelbase than a Fairlane 500. You will need a top assembly from a 52/56 Ford car. Also I'm not sure about the width of a 52/56 assy and if the front bow from a 57 will fit it.

abe_lugo

best way to do it is to get a 2dr hardtop+ 57-58 conv top mechanism. Otherwise , it'll be a waste and a lot of work to make it look right. just my thoughts,
if you invision it as that then go ahead, it's your ride.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

DanTudor57

When I first saw a 57 custom, I immediately thought how beautiful this car would be in a convertible model. i was just a kid, and to this day I feel the same way. When I see a skyliner, I am always disappointed. If I had the time and resources, I would restore another Custom 300, and send it out to get a professionally built and installed convertible top. I've seen on outfit that does this, and for me, it would be completely worth the time and expense. I would take a one-off convertible Custom 300 over a mint Skyliner any day.

Personal preference of course!

Ford Blue blood

Dan....get a vert windshield frame (I know where one is complete with top bows) and use that.  Actually it is a complete cowl and top assembly.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

greaseball

I would check to how the chassis of the convertible was reinforced and ad bracing before slicing the roof off....
sometimes the body sags over the frame then, and you have trouble closing the doors (eventually)-

And I would bet the best plan would be a 52-56 'vert top and get as much of it as you can.

And I agree w/DanTudor57;
A smaller convertible might be cooler than a big heavier one-
I'd love to see pics!

geraldchainsaw

can i add my 2 cents worth?,    i own a fairlane 500 conv,   and while working on the exhaust system i saw the support on the bottom,   a big x that looked like i beams, to make up for support you need because of no roof,  not saying it can't b done,  but i think your looking for a center collapse where the doors won't work or shut right

55Monarch

Geraldchainsaw makes a good point about the need to use convertible-type chassis reinforcment.There's  at least 2 aproaches to such a project. If it's to be a custom rod then the crossmember can be built .The other version is to do it as  Ford  would have,had they made a Custom series convertible in '57. So, you'd use a gennie Sunliner crossmember, trimmed to fit.
An interesting question would be on whether to use Sunliner doors which would require massaging the upper-front part of the quarter panels to complete the Sunliner treatment.
Personally, though it's a lot of work, I think the payoff would be a better looking car. I'd leave the height of  the fins as they were on Customs, but probably add the Fairlane gingerbread (sidetrim).  The pot metal endcaps for the fins would need to be made from scatch.
This would be a beautiful car.

DanTudor57

This has been my favorite thread ever. I still dream of a smaller convertible '57 custom.

ranchero57

why install a ragtop,just make your top removable.like a t-bird.i saw a 57 chevy that was converted that way and it was pretty neat.just thought i would throw that thought your way.lol. campy ranchero57